Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am converting my 29 to a heavily planted driftwood tank. i purchased a flora glo, 20 w, t-8 (not sure what this means), lux 90 (not sure what this means either). i purchased this light at the reccomendation of the guy at lfs. i asked for a light that would be helpful to my plants. i have always had live plants and have had good success. i just wanted something to put me over the top and have a thriving planted tank.

my concern is that the tank has lost that bright look. the new light almost makes the tank look light orange or something. im not sure how to explain it. i admitedly know nothing about lighting. can anyone explain to me the deal with lighting? especially why a light with 3 more watts than my old light makes the tank darker? is this harmful to the fish and their color and or activity level? they arnt acting differently?

any advice or help with lighting would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Different bulbs have different light spectrum's. They give off different hues based on this. I prefer a crisp white light on my planted tank and so I chose a Life Glo 2 bulb 6700K. The flora glo is 2800K.

Bulbs with a lower K rating (2,700 - 3,000K) give off a soft, warm light

Bulbs with a higher K rating (3,500 - 6,500K) give off a cooler, white or bluish-white light

·
Registered
292 Posts
plants generally do well within the 5000-7000K range.

You want 2 watts per gallon on medium light plants, and more for the high light plants. Also, when you get the higher levels of watts per gallon, you'll need to think about a Co2 system.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do i know the k rating of my bulb? based on what i wrote, can you give me the k rating for the bulb i have?

·
Registered
292 Posts
the flora glo has a 2800K rating. This is fine for aqaurium plants. A little low, but fine.

Here a link to a thread a buddy of mine did in a local forum that talks alot about the different K ranges. Its a lot of info, but a good read.
http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/produc ... 110&page=3

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so can i get a light with a higher k rating but isnt the orange color? its not bad, but its a little dark looking.

i will look at the link. thanks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, thats like another language. i will have to do some reading and re reading. thanks.

also, can someone please attempt to explain to me how a co2 system works.

·
Registered
292 Posts
look at the pictures of the different K ratings...

this will give you an idea of the what the lights will look like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts