Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my 120g I used the lights that it came with (part of a package deal with the tank itself that also included a UG filter that I discarded). The lights are flourecent white. Read the article on in the library about lights but was looking to get some feedback from folks:

Color - My take is that the while isn't bringing out the best color in in my fish. I think it would be more ideal to go with a bit more purple/blueish tint... right?

Duration - I've currently got them set on a timer to stay on for the bulk of the day (7a-5p) M-F and from 9a-3p on the weekend (the tank is in the office). I'm wondering if I'm leaving it on too much, too little... or maybe it doesn't matter. The room has a big wall window so when it's daylight the tank isn't dark. Just wondering if I'm pushing/promoting algea growth too much with this. Thoughts?

If I'm looking to change the color of the lights, I was thinking about looking into the LED setups that have the moon lighting as well. Anyone have experience or opinions on these setups?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Color - My take is that the while isn't bringing out the best color in in my fish. I think it would be more ideal to go with a bit more purple/blueish tint... right?
Depends on the fish. What are stocking? Some, like myself, like the blue actinics, but I wouldn't use them on a tank with green fish. If you're keeping african rift lake, then I'd recommend them.

I'm wondering if I'm leaving it on too much, too little... or maybe it doesn't matter.
Doesn't matter. It's for viewers, fish don't care. I think the hours you have it set for are fine.

I was thinking about looking into the LED setups that have the moon lighting as well. Anyone have experience or opinions on these setups?
I'd suggest also using the Search Feature of the forum as there have a been a few recent threads with a lot of info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question. I'm stocking it mostly with Haps, some Mbumas. There are more blues than anything else, but trying to have a very big mix of colors.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'd add some blue light then. Sometimes comes down to personal tastes, but I like a mix of actinic and daylight bulbs.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I went with LEDs (though I built my own canopy).

I have a 75 gallon. I found some pre-made LED strips at my LFS. I can't remember the brand name or model number, I'll have to check when I get home. But I put four of these strips in and they alternate 2 white LEDS, 1 blue LED. When on, it really lights up the aquarium and you don't notice the blue LEDs in the color of the light (bright white), but you can definitely see how those blue LEDs bring out the color in the fish.

I also picked up 2 stunner strips, all blue LEDs. I use these for "moonlighting". Basically when the white lights go off at night these come on for a couple hours before the lights go off completely and then come back on an hour or so before the white lights come on.

I really like the LED look over the florescent. Plus, the LEDs will last 15 - 20 years without changing them. So there is a little more up front cost with the LEDs, but the way I figured it I'll recoup that money within the first year by not having to change out the bulbs every 6 months to 12 months, plus less impact on my electricity bill.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am a big fan of the shimmer effect you get from leds. The light tends to be a little more crisp and come down in beams that remind me of how sunlight looks on the water.

I'll probably go LEDs given the chance, but that up front cost can be hefty for a large setup.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Similar to prov356, I also run with actinics in combination with 50/50's. Obviously I like the blue spectrum but they really enhance the color in the haps and peacocks.

I also run warm LED's for a natural effect (and wide angle LEDs for moonlights which have a shimmer effect) but the fish don't stand out as much.

Also, some individuals have had issues with the actinics causing algae blooms so you might want to cut the hours for the actinics. Personally, I've never had that problem but I don't have the lights running over 6 hours a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts