Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Plants need the correct balance of light, nutrients and co2. If you add more light, you need to address nutrients and co2, or you will have an algae farm. Check out PPS Pro and Tom Barr's EI for dosing. I takes me literally 3 mins a day to dose 7 planted tanks using PPS PRO. Adding 4 mL a day of Seachems Excel will add co2 to your tank.

I'm not sure you need more light with those plants. I have an anubius in a jar tied to a rock, no light but ambient, this jar has been set up over a year now. I do weekly WC's, dose Excel daily, the anubius is slowly growing. No algae. How long has the T8 bulb been on the tank. Maybe just a new bulb will do the trick.

If you really want T5 lighting, go with the single bulb. I like catalinaaquarium lighting. I have several of their fixtures. They will modify any system to your specs. I always have them put each bulb on a separate switch, giving me options.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Number6 said:
Personally I would stop with the Excel. I've had that cause browning as often as it has helped a low light tank.
That's interesting. I've never had a problem with Excel browning my plants. I don't have any "low light" tanks tho, 3 tanks are CF's, 2 tanks are T5NO's and 3 tanks are T5HO's.

Good luck with your new fixture. Hopefully, the Angels will adjust.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I hang my fixtures from the ceiling when I can with black decorative chain. It looks decent, and enables me to move the fixture up or down. Hydrophite over on plantedtank.net went to Home Depot and rigged his lights to hang. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.