Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what the typical Hap or Cichlid lifespam is? I found my 8" Hap Ahli dead this morning, with no real visibly signs of any trauma. He was the oldest fish in there, prob 3.5 yr old. Is that about a normal run?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost your fish.
To answer your question, three years is short but given his size, he's older than 3.5 years. (Did you raise him from a juvi?) So that account, yes, he could have passed due to old age. When they get old, sometimes they are more susceptible to internal fungus/bacterial infections that we never even notice it until it's too late.
Was he eating?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Umm well i had him for maybe 2.5 yrs, got him when he was about 4-5 inches, so I figured he was prob a year old when I got him. Ya he was eating just fine, always had a very majestic, metallic blue shimmer, so i dunno really.... shame. Was seriously considering adding several females to breed with him recently too, ah well.

So how old is typical anyhow?? theyre in a big 140 gallon tank, proper filtration, food etc

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I've heard 7-8 years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, thanks for the posts guys

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have had fish die at 7 for no apparent reason, i have some that are 11 years old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.