Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the lfs and picked up my mbunas today and my guy is usually very knowledgeable but he doesnt do much with cichlids and he said the 7 he sold me to start out with were a great group but im not sure what species they are but they are definitely 7 different ones ill get some pics when i get home but one is solid yellow and real bright one is bright blue with horizontal stripes running down its body one is kind of pinkish one is white one is a pale yellow with dark vertical stripes one is orange with black spots one is blue with a hint of yellow on the fins

nevermind on the pics i dont know how to add pics
[/img]

·
Registered
625 Posts
What you need to do is upload to a picture site like imgur, photo bucket, etc. Then find the direct link and then use the tags.

Post the links and I or someone else here will help you out.

Unless they are all male, 7 different species sounds like too much for a Mbuna set up, we can better assist you when we see the pictures.

If I had to guess without seeing them I'd say- yellow lab, maingano, albino zebra or red zebra, albino or ice white zebra, male kenyi, ob labeotropheus or zebra, regular zebra.

Edit: my guesses came from what most LFS have and the color described.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont have a camera at the moment til later tonight anyway so is there a website with alot of pics of different types that i could find the ones that look the most like mine and upload the pics

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yeah, check out our Profile section. Select "Lake Malawi," then select "Mbuna."

Check out Labidochromis caeruleus, Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos, metriaclima estherae, metriaclima callainos (Ice White), metriaclima lombardoi, OB labeotropheus fuelleborni or metriaclima estherae, and metriaclima zebra or Pseudotropheus sp acei (Yellow Tail).

Those are my best limited guesses.

What size tank do you have?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a 90 gallon im all confused after looking thru some of those pics there are so many i will just find a way to upload pics here in a bit when my friend comes over i think i have some peacocks along with mbuna im really feeling stupid

·
Registered
625 Posts
Man, don't feel stupid, there's *a lot* of information to take in. And everyone here has been where you are right now. Learning scientific names kicked my @$& at the beginning. I know I certainly don't know everything.

The worst thing that you can do is get discouraged, and I might have added to that by bombarding you with all that new information and I am sorry for that. When you can post pictures I and others here will help you figure out what you have and where you go from here.

If you have peacocks then we will need outside help, I've only kept Central American and Mbuna cichlids.

A 90 gallon tank is a really good African size, especially if you have many Mbuna like I suspect. What kind of filtration do you have?

·
Registered
623 Posts
If Joel is correct with his guesses, your fish are fine, however having all different species may make things messy down the road. You have a rather large tank so your good in that department. Once you find out what fish you have we can help you further to get this tank in the direction you want.

You might want to looking into getting say an Emperor 400, its rated for a 90G and has 2 biowheels. Its also only like $40-50

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
It would probably be most correct if you ask the LFS what the identities of the fish are.

If the LFS does not know, then they could easily be hybrids. Finding a similar looking fish in the Profiles could help you understand fishkeeping requirements, but you still would not want to sell the fish as pure with a scientific name.

·
Registered
625 Posts
DJRansome, +1, since he didn't know I kind of feared the guy just dipped out 7 from the assorted tank. There is an lfs here that does something similar.

A great rule of thumb I apply to everything in life is always take anything anyone says who's purpose is to take your money with a grain of salt. That, and always do outside research before making a decision!

Either way, I don't feel like OP will be disadvantaged with this. Once we can get photos of these fish, we can figure out how to best help him. I like this community and the great amount of wealth it has to offer. Worst case scenario he takes them back for a trade, I don't feel like the lfs would find this unreasonable if you just got them. I bet their fish guarantee hasn't even expired yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i cant get a camera still but *** found some pics of others that im sure are two of mine i just dont know how to upload

1 - 13 of 13 Posts