Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see tons of posts with people recommending returning extra males or incompatible fish to their LFS.

My question is how does this work? I would assume stores that accept fish returns or at least trade-ins offer for store credit would have to be mom and pop shops? I can't see any large chains dong this.

Are some of you really lucky enough that your extra fry or fish you bag and just bring to your LFS? They QT the fish for a few days and give you store credit? I'd think that would be a risk for them if the fish was diseased, a hybrid, or etc.

Any advice on this topic? Especially any LFS that would consider this in Phoenix? I have plenty of incompatible fish that sit in smaller tanks because I don’t know what to do with them. I avoid craigslist and really don’t want to euthanize good fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
Note trading fish for store credit is viewed differently than a return. I almost never have purchased the fish I trade in from that particular LFS.

The chains tend not to do this, but an LFS that specializes in cichlids often will because they know it's part of keeping them.

A reasonable return is 1/3 the selling price of the fish. The LFS may not have tank room that day or maybe they just ordered a dozen and don't need any more of what you want to give them, so call first.

Of course it helps if you buy lots of stuff from them and over the years you form a relationship with them so they know you give them healthier fish than they can get from their wholesalers. And often larger fish as well. The fish are less stressed (no airplane ride) and they save shipping costs.

I never raise fry unless I need them. The fish I bring to the LFS are most often adults.

I know the scientific names of the fish better than the LFS most times so I don't think they fear getting hybrids from me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts