Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 55 gal that is unlevel by 1/2 an inch. The tank is full and has fish in it.

I am planning taking the fish which are not bottom dwellers out of the tank, then drain it to a low level (leaving the calvus and shellies in the remaining water). Next, I will lift up one end of the tank slightly and slide some wood under the stand. (its an iron stand).

Is this plan safe, or am I risking a disaster? How much water should I drain out of the tank before I try to lift one end of it? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well, I might get flamed for saying it, but I would just take 50% out and leave the fish in. Then use a jack to jack it up. BUT you MUST be super careful and be sure it is VERY secure on the jack. Be sure there is NO living things in the path of any possible way it could fall. If for any reason you are not confident in your skill to do it this way then don't, but that's just how I would do it.

Otherwise I would go to 25% water and take fish out. Still use a jack unless it is very easy to lift (mine is 75g so im not sure how heavy a 55g is with 25% water in it) because you can always use the extra hand that's not on the jack to steady it, and you will avoid a back injury.

:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya i was thinking about using a jack. I think I could pull that off without any problems. This might be the best option....the tank stands with its back against a wall and one side in the corner of the room. The side that I would need to jack up is the one opposite the side that is in the corner.....so the tank cant fall backwards or slip down the slope when I lift one end (because it will hit the wall) So the only way it could fall is forward.......yikes this makes me nervous.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably go with the jack method.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.