Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stand is a custom stand by TRUVU super thick plywood furniture grade. It was between the lines on the level when we placed it across all three axis.

The tanks a 185 truvu same thing in the lines on a 3 foot level, began to fill tonight and I took the water one inch over the stand lip to see I have about 2 mm of height difference in the water.

The stand has a solid flat wood bottom, so I'm not sure how to shim that.

Any one have any advice ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
This is an acrylic aquarium correct?

Is the stand setting on carpet or hard surface?

I've not owned an acrylic tank before but to me 2mm difference isn't that much so hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions.

If you measure from the floor surface to the water line on 3 axis, is it the same distance?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is acrylic, it's on a brick landing that was built for a wood burning stove.

Getting a solid measurement from floor to water could be an issue because of how the trim steps off the platform and tank.

From what I can tell one side is ever so slightly lower than the other but the water front to back on each side appears to be uniform in depth.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
No problem!

I did see your post with pics over on MFK earlier so I see what you are dealing with with the brick hearth. You also mentioned that the stand is mfg. by them and made out of super thick plywood. I would think that since you only need to shim one end of the stand, a thin shim between the bottom of the stand and the brick hearth should work just fine. However, you could also contact Truvu for their suggestions.

Do you have any idea how the brick hearth was built? It appears to be only one brick thick but I don't know if they are meant to support the weight of an aquarium, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is pretty solid, it's only one brick thick. The interior are super thick pieces of slate. Truvu said not to worry about it, that that small of a difference is cosmetic, but it makes me quite nervous. Literally they said not to worry about it the canopy will cover it lol.

There was a 550 lb stove on it with legs that were only about 2in in diameter, and the landing itself is sitting on the foundation.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
I'd say if Truvu wasn't worried that you should not be worried either. Glad to hear the hearth is solid so that should also not be a worry.

As Noddy suggested, self leveling floor compound would be an option but would be considered permanent if you should ever move the tank.

If it's not an issue, slowly continue to fill the tank and see if you notice any changes. Also double check with a spirit level to see that the tank is still level on 3 axis as it's filling. It's very possible that the stand trim work is what is throwing off the visual height of the water level.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So me a hammer about 26 shims and a few beers got it as close to perfect as I think I can.

I shimmed the right side every 8 inches used a few more on the front then used the snapped portions to fill the gaps.

I have less than a mm off any where in the tank. 45 minutes with a straight edge and ruler.....

Did a water change in my community tank and squeezed out the filters into the new tank with modified sponge to start loading media, I'm getting excited lol.

Hoping moving some media and substrate over will help with the cycle.

Ty every one.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Goonie said:
It is pretty solid, it's only one brick thick. The interior are super thick pieces of slate. Truvu said not to worry about it, that that small of a difference is cosmetic, but it makes me quite nervous. Literally they said not to worry about it the canopy will cover it lol.

There was a 550 lb stove on it with legs that were only about 2in in diameter, and the landing itself is sitting on the foundation.
My tanks are Clear for Life acrylics, complete setups that came with wood cabinet stands. Note that a 180gal tank full of water is about 2,000 pounds in weight. They both sit on porclein tile over a poured concrete foundation. I noticed that my 180gal tank's water level is a bit uneven and very slightly lower in the back and figured it must be the stand. I was nervous about it at first but it's been years now and I even moved the tank to another room awhile back but have never experienced any problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts