Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few days shy of a year since I got these - and I'm finally seeing some breeding coloration and behavior from my small group. Hopefully the colors start to come in stronger over the next few months.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
agreed, very nice photo, my young male is just starting to get a little blue in the jaw.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. I'm planning to get more photos of this guy as he fills out. It's been fun to see his colors change so much in such a short period of time. I think a spawn is near, he's been holding almost all the other fish (mbuna included) to the opposite side of the 75g. :lol:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today while I was at lunch these guys spawned for me. Saw them courting all morning and they are still courting this evening, even though she has a mouthful.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iggy Newcastle said:
What camera are you using?
Right now, most of my shots are taken with:

Nikon D800 body
Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens
(sometimes some Extension Tubes)

Flashpoint XPLOR600 strobe
Westcott RapidBox softbox

I do clean up the images in Photoshop, but it is mostly the water around the fish and color correction.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Very nice!!! Tell us more about your set up. Ratio? Tank mates ?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right now, the ratio I have is 1M:3F. They were being kept in a 75g with:

Aulonocara brevinidus Chipoka 1M:4F
Cynotilapia aurifrons Nkhata Bay 1M:4F
Cynotilapia sp. "Hara" Gallireya Reef ?M:?F (still sexing these)

Everyone is temporarily displaced as I had to move the 75g downstairs, this is what the tank will go back to when all is said and done. The "Hara" group will ideally be 1M:3-5F when I get them sorted.

·
Registered
874 Posts
How would you describe the temperament of the Red Cap?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Up until now, they have been basically completely peaceful. They just scavenged the sand in the tank all day. Now that the male has just taken up "puberty" (and gained a sex drive), he's been more adamant about holding a bit of territory and chasing away most fish from the area. He hasn't been violent or particularly aggressive, just gives a bit of chase to move unwanted visitors along. Most of his energy is spent when a gravid female actually starts hanging around in his space.

·
Registered
874 Posts
why_spyder said:
Up until now, they have been basically completely peaceful. They just scavenged the sand in the tank all day. Now that the male has just taken up "puberty" (and gained a sex drive), he's been more adamant about holding a bit of territory and chasing away most fish from the area. He hasn't been violent or particularly aggressive, just gives a bit of chase to move unwanted visitors along. Most of his energy is spent when a gravid female actually starts hanging around in his space.
Great, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Here's a quick pic of my little male (has a bunch of food in his mouth) at about 4".

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts