Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone heard of this species before? i found them on a site and they arent in the profiles sections..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Leth. Albus Kande Island are awesome looking fish. I would suggest keeping them in a species only tank. Males achieve amazing color with the presence of females. Very peaceful docile fish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
u think they would be able to live with lethrinops sp nyassae? probly interbreed right? i know my nyassae are docile chill fish.. i have them in with eureka red jakes growing out now but i think im gonna give the jakes their own 55... that leads me to a problem that i eventually wanna do a species only blue orchid peacock tank... hmmm decisions decisions.. i suppose i can put the eurekas in their own tank and sell them if i want to do the blue orchid species tank... my nyassae male is colored up real nice and i have fry growing out too.. too many awesome fish too lil tank space lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pretty sure the nyassae would interbreed. If I were in your shoes, I'd sell the jakes and focus on the Leth. Albus. They are stunning and when they breed, I'm sure you'll find it VERY EASY to sell fry/juvies. Eureka Jakes are a dime a dozen in our area. Market is currently flooded with them. Leth. Albus, not at all.

Best of luck! I'm still mourning the loss of my Leth. Albus Kande male! Stunning 4". Will get my hands on more the minute I have more tank space!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well if i sold the jakes.. id probly do a species only tank of blue orchids.. i really like them... plus i wont have tank space for a little while..

·
Registered
363 Posts
You can't go wrong with species tanks of either Albus or blue Orchids. My buddy actually has breeding groups of both of them, each in a species standard 30 gallon tank. Each group I think is somewhere around 2M/5-6F with colored up sub-males. The girls are constantly holding. Not many haps/peacocks you can keep long term in a 30, but these are two that work.

The only problem is that the blue orchid fry are so dang tiny. I have a group of A. maylandi and they're the same way... spit fry 1/3 the size of a jake and they take that much longer to get to an inch. Smaller lethrinops (Albus included) aren't setting any growth rate records any time soon either.

IMO, they're both seriously underrated fish and you'll be happy with whichever one you pick. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts