Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stocked my tank a few weeks ago with a large number of juvenile fish. Right from the start I had one fish that seemed to hide in the bottom corner of the tank. It looks relatively healthy, but it is still acting the same 3 weeks later and I don't see it eating anything at feeding time. Yesterday it was acting particularly lethargic. Swimming in a nearly upright position in the bottom corner. Should I relocate the fish to another tank or take some other sort of measures? Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
I don't see any reason to treat with meds based on your description.

If I remember correctly this is a 60G tank and you have about 25 juvenile fish correct?

It's possible the fish is being harassed by others due to the heads up position. Can you post your full stock list, fish sizes and a full tank shot?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't being harassed at all until the last 24 hours. It was drawing attention to itself by it's odd behavior. It definitely is almost dead but still fighting. I have a water change scheduled for tonight and I'm going to remove the fish then. If it's still alive. You are correct Deeda.

Species
Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab) 3
Metriaclima estherae (Red Zebra) 3
Pseudotropheus Acei (Yellow Tail Acei) 2
Nimbochromis venustus (Giraffe) 2
Pseudotropheus socolofi (Powder Blue) 1
Pseudotropheus demasoni (Demasoni) 1
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) 1
Plecostomus (Pleco) 1
Metriaclima sp. elongatus chailosi (Chailosi) 3
Metriaclima sp. elongatus chewere (Chewere) 3
Cynotilapia zebroides (Jalo Reef) 1
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) 1
Metriaclima Zebra Manda F1 (Zebra Manda) 2
Labidochromis sp. Hongi (Red Top Hongi) 2
Pseudotropheus sp. Williamsi North (Blue Lips) 1

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
Tank dimensions again, just to verify?

I would lose the Nimbochromis venustus and possibly the Pseudotropheus acei as they both do better in a 72" long tank at least in my experience. Too many Metriaclima species also.

Are you shooting for an all male tank?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tank: 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H

This is sort of a starter/grow out tank. In the coming months I will be adding a 75-125 g tank and will start to redistribute the species at that time. I will probably have 3 tanks by the summer. 60, 75-90 & and 125-150. An all male tank would be sweet, but I'm not sure I'm experienced enough or ready to take that on. As for now, I will try to distribute the fish accordingly once they get a bit bigger. The 2 zebra mandas are beautiful white blotched females. I would like to get a male for them once they get a bit larger. As I find out what the sexes are I will use that info too. DJRansome gave me few thoughts on what he/she would do. Would love to hear your opinion as well.

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
A grow-out tank is good for fish that are one inch or less, including the tail. Any larger, you want to distribute to different tanks ASAP.

Harassment is often not observed at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.