Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use a lemon in my tank without hurting my fish? i have hard water stains close to the bottom of my tank and I have been told scrubbing with a slice of lemon will remove the stains. I know about vinegar but the stains are low enough that I do not want to take all the fish and water out. So I was hoping I could scrub with lemon inside of the tank and then perform a large water change?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
a sharp razor is all you need. It'll take it off no prob. If you must, the lemon can be used though I've not found that it cuts into the hard water stain at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A brand new razor is doing nothing at all, i honestly tried and more than once. It may not be hard water stains. The tank was bought used and at one time was a saltwater tank. The stains are milky white and see through but they are visible. Dose any one have a idea what kind of stain I am dealing with?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Hard water stains are calcium carbonate, which dissolves easily in acid. Both lemon juice and vinegar contain a good deal of acid, and that's why you can use them to get rid of hard water stains. However, if you use the lemon under water, the juice gets diluted before it can get to the stain, and the whole thing is unlikely to work.

If they are not hard water stains, they could also be scratched or etched areas in the glass or acrylic - especially likely if it's acrylic. I too have such an area in my 75G glass tank, which was bought used. The previous owner at some stage had a divider siliconed in the tank. When it was taken out, it left scratches behind, as well as some silicone in the scratches. I have given up trying to remove that eyesore, and am now trying not to look that way :D

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nick55G said:
A brand new razor is doing nothing at all, i honestly tried and more than once. It may not be hard water stains. The tank was bought used and at one time was a saltwater tank. The stains are milky white and see through but they are visible. Dose any one have a idea what kind of stain I am dealing with?
I have the same thing on my 125. I haven't bothered trying to remove it, as when wet, it mostly disappears. At least, you have to be right up next to the glass to notice. No one who's seen my tank has even mentioned it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts