Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a yellow lab the same as a lemon yellow? I noticed the yellow labs have the black outline on their fins. My fish was sold to me as a lemon yellow, he/she (not sure) is def yellow but without the black on the fins. I also have one that is albino, again no black markings. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
"Lemon yellow" sounds like a hybrid. It's not an actual name, by any means. Most likely a YL-RZ cross. Typical. Hope you didn't pay too much for him.

Albino is probably albino socolofi.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Lemon Yellow's have become popular overnight. I agree, they're a YL-RZ mix. In fact, when I had YL females they were breeding with my RZ and....poof, I had Lemon Yellows. They are pretty cool looking and I gave mine away to a friend (he has no intention of breeding them or selling them) but yes, they're in fact a hybrid.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Why not just call them Yellow Zebras, or Zebra Labs? Would make more sense than throwing a random word in that doesn't derive from either of the parents. Lemon, IMO, implies lemon jake, or at least something with the word 'lemon' in it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only paid around $4/fish. They were 2 out of the four first fish I purchased, I bought them under the assumption that they were yellow labs....I didn't know the difference. They are cool looking and both healthy. I don't plan on breeding in my tank because i'm new to the hobby. On another note in addition to those 2 yellows I also have a Eureka Peacock and a Ice Blue Zebra, I'd like to add a Demosoni or 2. Will they be compatible?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I googled images of albino socolofi. My fish is bright yellow with red eyes. In the images they looked more white.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just found a fish under the profile page that closely resembles mine, Metriaclima barlowi . I hope this is not what I have because of their aggressiveness. I'll try to get pictures.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If your LFS is selling hybrids, it's unlikely to sell something odd like a Barlowi.

G

·
hes probly got an albino yellow lab, red zebra hybrid... yellow fish when albinos still show that creepy albino yellow..yellow labs and red zebras are aggressive too bud...all Mbuna are aggressive... and they say hybrids are more aggressive than pure blood fish.. but then again "they" say alot of things lol :x

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
JimScap said:
I only paid around $4/fish. They were 2 out of the four first fish I purchased, I bought them under the assumption that they were yellow labs....I didn't know the difference. They are cool looking and both healthy. I don't plan on breeding in my tank because i'm new to the hobby. On another note in addition to those 2 yellows I also have a Eureka Peacock and a Ice Blue Zebra, I'd like to add a Demosoni or 2. Will they be compatible?
I wouldn't add Dems. I believe Dems prefer to be in groups of 12+. I don't remember if they say, 'one or many', or just 'many'. Maybe somebody with a better memory than me can chime in.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I believe 1 or 12+ is the key.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts