Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just made a 50% water change this afternoon since im trying to make my nitrates level down (its still in a normal level though 40ppm, wanted it to go down to atleast 10 or 20ppm). then just this evening about 5-6hrs after i did the water change i sat at my garage and watched them having just the garage light as the main source of light since the tank light was already turned off. noticed that my lemon jake was resting at one corner. at first i thought it was just sleeping just like the rest of my peacocks.

while watching them i decided to give them some midnight snack. gave them some sinking pellets. likewise after they saw/smell the food they immediately woke up and ate it. was wondering why my lemon jake did not joined the frenzy. at first i thought mybe his just to sleepy to eat.

few more minutes i began to suspect that there might be something wrong with him since all the peacocks are awake already and he is still there at the corner. checked his breathing and it looks fine. no heavy/labored breathing at all. few nip fins just like the rest of the gang, no other injuries or sign of being bullied what so ever. so then again i thought may be his just to sleepy.

few more minutes passed. i noticed him leaning towards his sides. I began to worry because thats not normal. other peacocks tried to bully him but he did not flash his body at all and just ignored them.

that time i decided to separate him and put him in hospital tank. unfortunately by the time i finished putting up the tank he died.

can this be due to the water change i did? i doubt it because i do this every time.

i only have a few suspicions on the cause of his death.
1. due to shock
2. due to stress
3. other injuries ( he had a dislocated jaw due to fighting, but he got it maybe 4-5 months ago)

im abit worried that it might happend to my other peacocks.

when he died i noticed there was a white stuff coming out of his anus which i guess is normal.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
djoverdose said:
a white stuff coming out of his anus which i guess is normal.
No not normal, a symptom to investigate. I don't know what it could be though. Parasite?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DjRansome,

Well i just called it normal because the white stuff came out the moment the fish had his last breath. it maybe his sperm since its milky white in appearance or urine mixed with his poop etc.

even in dogs, cats or humans, once they die they urinate etc because the muscles that prevent them to come out no longer function.

i dont know if he had show any symptoms before that i did not noticed because they are too many in the tank.

all of my fish looks very healthy.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
The reason I said it was not normal (although you make a good point) is that I do not routinely see this when a fish dies. Never seen it actually.

I have even anesthetized fish (put them to sleep with clove oil) and have not seen this. Worth investigating as a symptom.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
djransome,

yup its really worth investigating. im looking at 2 possible reason.

1 might be because of shock/stress.

2nd maybe due to his injured jaw or infection of some sort.

recently i had an outbreak of ick in my tank but it was treated immediately.

it could also be an internal parasite or bacteria. but i cant see any signs.

·
Registered
554 Posts
How old is your fishy? At least it sounds like a peaceful death.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nina_b,

i only had the fish for over 5-6 months i guess.. though i got him around 5-6" including the tail. i think his more over a year old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.