Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question about leleupis...Is it ok to mix the yellow and orange varieties? They are the same species, just different color variations. Would their spawn be considered a hybrid? just wondering, i have both, but dont want to mix them b/c i wouldnt want to violate the unspoken hybrid rule.
thanks for any info,
mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
BY strictest definition they would not be hybrids, however I see no reason to mix two color forms either.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
By any definition, they would not be "hybrids" :wink: The orange varieties were line bred in captivity, so any claim to genetic relation to the original phenotype is weak at best. As such, I don't believe there's any moral/ethical justifications for preserving the line.

In my humble opinion, if you want to mix them, go ahead. The offspring will be N. leleupi and whether they'll be yellowish orange or orangish yellow or some of each will be interesting to discover.

$0.02

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I guess the "cross" offspring would be less desirable than either line.

The wild type yellow has folk who like it best.

The line bred orange has folk who like it best.

Unlikely anyone would prefer something in between.

The other two are easily available so they can get what they prefer elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
IF the oranges do not breed true and IF they are not a recognized breed, then the fry are not hybrids.

I had thought that the oranges were a recognized breed since they are always sold as such. If they are, then crossbreeds are hybrids in EVERY sense of the word.

In the end, the choice is yours to make and consensus is your only judge! :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I was under the impression that the different colours were from different locations, if that is the case, mixing them would be the same as mixing blue flash cyps with utinta cyps. If that's not the case, I see no problem, unless they produce fugly fry. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts