Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25G with 3 adult Leleupi cichlids, an electric yellow and 2 figure 8 puffers. Odd tank I know but it works and the figure 8s and the electric yellow have been together for several years. The Electric yellow gets stressed out in my larger tanks so I keep him where he is happiest. Anyway - moving on.... I have spotted about 10 Leleupi fry in a shell being guarded by one of the other adult Leleupis. What should I do?!? I have never had fry before or ever intended on any so was not prepared for this. I have a spare 10 gallon tank and another HoB. I really want to keep these guys and do not want to loose too many if I can avoid it. please help - what should I do??????

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Not to worry, if they've spawned once, they'll spawn again. Just let the fry swim around and get eaten this time.

To be prepared for next time, put that HOB filter on your existing tank. If you set it up now, the tank is going to cycle, and you'll likely kill all the fry anyway. Put the HOB on your existing tank, and you'll avoid having to cycle. When they spawn again, do a large water change on the 29 gallon, putting the water in the 10 gallon, then move the HOB over. I would recommend a bare bottom tank. You can feed the fry crushed flake, or crushed pellets, though LIVE baby brine shrimp is the best.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spare HoB filter I was talking about st actually already in use along side my 280 in the 25g - I like to over filter. So I could do that now yeah? Should I move the Leleupi that is guarding the fry as well, both the parents or just the fry?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
You could do that now, yes... Just move the fry. Neolamprologus leleupi don't really guard the fry... they guard the spawn site. As soon as the fry are capable of leaving, they do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant - thanks : ) will get on that tonight. Any suggestions on how to move them? They hang out in a large shell all the time which also happens to be the spawning site.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Pick up the shell, keeping the water in it... if it has holes, place a small tupperware container below it.

Shake out the fry in the 10 gallon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts