Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 48" LED light strips are almost a year old. Some of the LEDs started flickering. Couple of them get stabilized after they get a little warm, not all of them though. It does not look that good with flickering LEDs. Did anybody face this problem and have any fix other than buying new strips? Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Take it apart and check the solder joints. They tend to crack with the bowing/warping the plastic light bars do. While you have it apart, replace any burnt out ones. Only try this assuming you can solder. Oh yeah, if none of the solder joints are cracked, it's probably in the motherboard. I had to replace a zener diode in one of mine also. They are pretty basic though, not as complicated as it sounds.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so very much. :thumb:

I was planning that for a while, but wanted to have an expert's opinion.

I can do basic solder (not a pro), but didn't solder any LED lines before, so don't know if my iron is good enough or I need finer tip. :-?

If it is in the motherboard, how do I find it? Just by burnt look, any tips please?

:fish:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Check continuity 1st. What is supposed to let power through and what is not. Sometimes it's as simple as a ground causing problems also. I'm not sure which light bar you have, is it one solid color or multiple? If multiple, does it do this with all colors?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Figure anything out yet?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2 BeamsWork 48", just white and night light version. They are pretty bright for the price, so would like to fix if possible.
Planning to repair in weekends, but for some or other reason had to postpone every time. :oops:
I'll surely post an update once I open the lights and try to solder.
Thank you so much in advance for the help and suggestions though. :thumb:

·
Registered
229 Posts
No problem, if you get stuck, shoot some pics of it opened up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts