Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So, I decided to try the new marineland double-bright led lighting on a new (used) tank setup, and I'm trying to figure out what to do to deal with an unpleasant amount of light that is bouncing off the glass canopy and glass center brace. :?

I tried it with legs on and off, and in both cases there is an unacceptable amount of light. The tank is on a low 24" stand in the dining room, so if you walk by you're basically getting spotlights reflecting up at you.

I'm hoping to find a cheap solution, and one that doesn't require too much DIY ingenuity. I don't have wood working skills or all the tools one would want for a DIY wood canopy, and the tank has odd dimensions (72"L x 16"W). Going this route is a last resort, though I may end up there.

This whole thing has me wondering about most of the newer fixtures on the market these days, and how to avoid either fish jumping (with no glass) or light reflecting (with glass). If need be I can still return this unit (and pay shipping, or maybe use it on another tank) and try something else.

What I found myself thinking was that I really wish I had a plastic housing of some sort similar to those that my old florescent strip lights had, or something inconspicuous I could at least put in front (and maybe in back) of the marineland fixture.

Any ideas? :-?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I guess you are talking about light getting out between tank top and the gap on a raised lighting fixture.
That gap can be really annoying.
I used a piece of trim molding, painted black to match the fixture.
Cut, with notches so it fits into the top frame and center brace of the tank.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's the issue. :( (Maybe it's something about my setup, but I'm really surprised that with all the engineering that goes into bringing out new designs that they don't build any shielding into the front of these fixtures to avoid this... :x )

I had a piece of trim laying around and I had begun thinking about something like that. If I lay it on the glass flush to the front of the fixture, it's enough to solve the problem.

It might also work if it was attached to the front frame of the aquarium. How did you cut and notch yours, and where does it sit?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How did you cut and notch yours, and where does it sit?

Hack saw and wood chisel.
The cuts need to be pretty close, but not perfect.
Sits on the glass.
I made it in 2 pieces, since I open 1 side for cleaning and WC.
Thought it might be a little awkward handling a single piece as well.
Cut your trim and check it out at night before you paint it up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am going to do the same that is the only drawback for me with the the marinland led light. No biggie though if thats my biggest worry in life LOL :fish:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts