Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my female Malawi Cichlids are pregnent. I am not sure if I should leave her in the tank and let her have her babies or if I should move her to a breeder tank and let her have them there. Please give me some advice.

·
Administrator
41,526 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Do you mean she is holding eggs in her mouth?

Are you going to save the fry and raise them? Do you have a separate, cycled fry tank for them?

I would leave her in the main tank unless the other fish are harassing her.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
jasonco211 said:
She is not holding yet. She is just pregnant. I want to save the fry and raise them. I am cycling a take as we speak. Should i add a heater to the fry tank?
I think you mean "gravid," though you can't always tell as easily with mbuna. She could just be fat, or have bloat. The fry tank should be set up exactly like a normal tank, but without substrate. You can stick to a simple sponge filter, too. Best to run the filter on your main tank now and switch it over when you move your female... Which will be 3 weeks after she starts holding.

·
Registered
105 Posts
when you say your female malawi cichlids are holding that says to me... your probably raising hybrids because you don't know what species they are.... Do not sell hybrid fry or give them away without letting the buyer know that they are hybrids because we want to keep our species as pure as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.