Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, I am rescaping my African tank from gravel to sand, as well as adding rocks, and I'm planning on taking my fish out of the tank until the tank is set-up, and the cichlid sand settles. I was planning on going out of state over the weekend, and was thinking of putting all of my fish (about 20) into 2 styrofoam coolers, rescaping the tank, and putting them back in when I get back on Sunday. The fish will be in the cooler from Thurs around 5 pm, until Sunday night. I've cut off feeding to avoid them pooping in the cooler too much, which I think will lead to nitrate build up. Do you think they'll be OK for that amount of time in the styrofoam coolers? I'm using fresh, de-chlorinated water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brandon

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the cichlid sand settling. I'd get them back in the tank. 3 days is pushing it. They may be fine, but no reason to do it this way. Not sure what the concern is with wanting the sand to settle. It won't harm them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yea, i definitly wouldnt wait for the sand to settle. nor would i leave them in coolers without me being to check on them. i would personally, try to get everything i needed, and picked 1 day i had the time to do it, and do it all in one day.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
liquid134 said:
y i would personally, try to get everything i needed, and picked 1 day i had the time to do it, and do it all in one day.
+1

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do you plan on moving the biological filter equipment and heater with them? The fish might die if they go three days with no filter. Also, the bacteria in your filter could die off and then you would be starting all over with your cycle. The filtering material needs to stay wet. I have heard of people using large Rubbermade or Sterilite storage containers and setting up all of the original tanks equipment in the storage containers. You can keep fish in a setup like that long term.

·
Registered
211 Posts
umm i wouldnt do that not for 3 days. maybe over night but not 3 days. i have cichlid mix sand took a while to settle but i didnt rinse very well. i would but them back in when you are done the sand doesnt need to settle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts