Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've posted anything.. but wanted to ask a quick question. I know this probably isn't the part of the forum to post this one but thought I might get the best responses here.

I had to move one of my 55g Mbuna tanks over the weekend, from one wall in my basement to the other. Once I set the tank back up, one of my Fluval 306 filters has a a very slow leak now which looks like it is coming from the side around or above one of the side locking mechanisms. I've unhooked it and reset it up a couple of times now and can't seem to get it to stop. Everything looks good with it and it is only a year or two old and never has never had a leak.The parts all seem to be in perfect shape etc. I have several of these same filters and have never had the first leak.. so this one has me stumped. Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
I found a leak just last night for this scenario.

Try replacing the "O" ring under the top around the place where it seals to the tank of the canister. They do wear out (mine is more than 10 years old) and fish supply places do sell replacement parts. Now I just have to find my spare, LOL.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJR.. thanks! and that was my first thought also. The O-ring looks okay and is still in the proper spot..but I'm guessing that is the problem. I think I've read or heard that you could coat it maybe with vaseline to stop slight leaks? Have you heard or tried that?

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
Sometimes removing the head seal or o-ring and cleaning it with a damp rag to remove crud (don't forget to also clean the o-ring groove) and then using a bit of lubricant will help. I've used regular Vaseline, plumbers o-ring grease or a food safe grease to lube seals and o-rings, some people even use a bit of vegetable oil. You just want a light coating of lube, a very thin almost unnoticeable sheen to the o-ring.

The head seal/o-ring usually lasts more than a couple years but they do need replaced as often as needed since they are compressed somewhat due to the clamping action of the top to the body.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Deeda! I did exactly that last night and it seems to have worked..as of this morning.

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
Glad to hear it! You still may want to consider buying a new head seal before you need it and possibly other o-rings.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
1 of my FX6 filters started leaking where the pump assembly meets the canister last night after a cleaning. Very slow, but I also suspect the o-ring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts