Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new here. I used to be a reef keeper and am now going try my luck setting up a 200 cichlid tank. I just got a nice but older glass aquarium (Lee Marr brand) It was set up in an LFS but I wonder after I clean out all the muck if I should filled up outside and let it sit just be be sure it's sound? If so should it be filled all the way, or just partial?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Depends on your setup as far as how much water might be too much. Highly unlikely to be a sudden loss of all water but there are places where small amounts are okay. For me, I have space in a garage where I clean and sterilize all tanks. It's a messy job better done outside. I clean and remove all the old water marks, etc. and bleach it clean before I bring it in. If I didn't have outside space I would bring it in to clean but have ways set up to catch small leaks with towels and be ready to drain down, just in case there was a leaker. So far, I have had none and all my tanks are used. If it is dirty at all, you will probably want to drain and change water several times, so setting up a handy drain may be well worth the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts