Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 125-gallon tank second-hand. Even though the tank is in great shape and the seals look pristine, I still want to conduct a leak test.

I have all the equipment I need (Python hose, water pump, etc.)

My question is this....

As I do not, yet, have a stand for this tank, it will have to sit on my dining room floor (linoleum) for the leak test. Do I need to be concerned about the floor being level for a 24-hour test?

If so, how should I shim the tank? This tank DOES have the plastic bottom frame. I can prop it on sections of 2x4 lumber if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Do you already know the floor is not level?

If you put the tank on 2x4's and they rest on the floor, won't they mimic the floor that is not level?

I have found it somewhat difficult to drain tanks sitting on the floor since there is no level that is lower for the water to flow down to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well $&%#%!

It turns out the floor is actually quite level after all but that has become the least of my concern.

The tank previously housed a turtle and thanks to hard water and evaporation, the glass panels all have considerable marring. I have hit them with bleach, CLR, razor blade and a soak in straight vinegar and nothing will remove it.

Looks like it is headed out the door (cheap) as a reptile tank or koi wintering tank.

Argh! :x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts