Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished resealing a 55 gallon glass tank last week, and filled it Saturday - so far, so good. Should I wait longer to see if any leaking starts up, or is 48 hours enough?

Pic!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I guess 48 hours is more than enough for the leaks to show...

All the best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just waited overnight on mine to check for leaks because i was in a rush. I waited 3 days for the silicone to dry though...

As long as your not going to be moving it around you should be good.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I usually give it a couple weeks full of water to make sure. If the new silicone pulls away slowly, I don't think 48 hrs enough time.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's up to you...but I waited a week with mine full in the garage with the filter running.....after a week letting the silicone cure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I give ya credit for being courageous enough to do a leak test with the tank inside the house!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I probably should have leak-tested it in the garage, true, but it did work out! No trouble so far. *knocks on wood*

One strange thing that happened was that the silicone changed color over time - went from clear to a sort of mottled white translucence before it "cured" to the same look as the factory-sealed tanks I have, aka uniformly translucent. Gave me a bit of anxiety while it was happening, that's for sure! But since it DOES look the same as the other tanks' silicone, I don't think it's a sign of impending structural failure. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts