Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used latex paint w success on a diy tank stand? I have several partial gallons of different colors from doing the inside of our house. If I got the white tinted black n primed n painted it do you think it would stand up to the moisture?

If you all think its a terrible idea I will go out n get some oil based paint for it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Number6
Sweet! :wink:

I love how this stand keeps herring cheaper n cheaper to make with all the stuff I have laying around!

Do go over it with any clear or dealer? Or just the interior latex?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Same here. Some people will tell you latex doesn't do good with moisture. It doesn't but its not like your pouring water over it on a daily basis. The concern is when you paint bathrooms. Your stand will look good with latex. I have stands that are painted with latex and have spilled water on them and it basically just ran off like it would on your car. Just stay with the latex. If you need to touch up you won't have to scuff to blend.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did u just brush it on? This stand will be in the living room so want it to look presentable at least.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yep I have one in the living room too. I actually built my coffe table and me and the gf brushed the stand and the table . Latex pretty much fills groves and lays flat if you brush thin and do multiple layers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Flippercon said:
Same here. Some people will tell you latex doesn't do good with moisture. It doesn't but its not like your pouring water over it on a daily basis. The concern is when you paint bathrooms. Your stand will look good with latex. I have stands that are painted with latex and have spilled water on them and it basically just ran off like it would on your car. Just stay with the latex. If you need to touch up you won't have to scuff to blend.
I completely agree with Number 6 and Flippercorn about not worrying about using latex paint on your stand. Bathrooms are even painted with Latex paint they just use Gloss finish instead of Eggshell or Flat, this helps keep the moisture from absorbing into the paint and drywall behind it. On my DIY stands I have done the same thing and just used a higher gloss paint.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yes AZcichlidfreak is correct. The higher the gloss the better. It's like no wax on a black car (no gloss) and clay barred and triple waxed black car (high gloss) :thumb: .

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would suggest that some latex will work fine while there are some that would not suit me. If it is gloss, fine. If it is a type that leaves little pebbles in the surface, maybe not. It should say on the can whether is is designed to be washable or not. For the amount that it will take to do a stand, though, you may be bordering on saving too much. Got to keep in mind "do overs" cost a lot more.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
I love how this stand keeps herring cheaper n cheaper to make with all the stuff I have laying around
keeps herring? Gotta love the iPhones auto corrections... :lol:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol I ordered a new hard drive. I can't wait.

Big fingers + phone keyboard = bad typing. :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts