Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took some pictures of my set up of my 55 gallon because I am changing over to sand and stacking rock tomorrow. Before I got on the forum, I thought a fish tank was all about being colorful and pretty. Now I that I have been on here a few weeks I have learned ALOT more about my cichs natural environment. I used everyones advice and got pool filter sand, and bought lots of stackable lava rocks at my local fish store, which i might add are super expensive!!!!!! I am very excited to change everything over tomorrow and just hope I dont lose anybody in the change over. Any last few words of advice? I watched the rinsing video and plan to rinse the sand good but I didnt know about how in depth I should rinse the rock. Here's my tank now. Will post pics once my sand and everything gets set up tom.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
......and bought lots of stackable lava rocks at my local fish store, which i might add are super expensive!!!!!!
Unfortunately you learned this one the hard way. Don't worry, many of us have...

Landscape stores are your best bet for low cost rock decor for your aquarium...

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
awesome thanks! do i need to boil the rocks or just rinse them?
WOW... Boy this question will generate a ton of contradicting responses...

I pressure washed mine thoroughly with hot water & put them in the tank. Some people prefer to store them overnight in a bleach/water mixture & then rinse them thoroughly prior to adding them to the tank. Overkill, IMO but that is just me...

I have had no problems with the rocks infecting the water with microbes, pollutants, etc... I frankly believe that bleach is a bigger concern than any potential contaminant on the rocks.

Seek more opinions & decide what is best for you would be my advise. What worked for me may not work for all. :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
Holy Pleco !! That thing is huge :lol: I usually just scrub the rocks under hot water with a bristle brush ( one that has NEVER had any soap on it) If I collected the rocks from a river or stream I also pour a couple gallons of boiling water on them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea all these bright plants are going! I'm gonna stack lava rock and make lots of tunnels, I don't even know that I'll put any plants in there. I'm very excited! Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Planted tanks with mbuna is very difficult to achieve long term. What they don't eat - they uproot. Some have had success. I haven't.

·
Registered
705 Posts
be wary of lave rock. in my experience it can tend to have sharp edges. so if fish wanna scratch an itch they can actually damage themselves rather then just getting that irritating itch taken care of. just my two cents. lace rock is a nice option (more expensive however) either way its your tank and i hope you enjoy the new look. make sure to rinse that sand in luke warm water (it can chill your tank when u add it if say u rinse it outside with a hose or something)

Side note: that crabro u have may become a killer at some point... just my opinion (bumblebee cichlid)

·
Registered
19 Posts
shellies215 said:
Holy Pleco !! That thing is huge :lol: I usually just scrub the rocks under hot water with a bristle brush ( one that has NEVER had any soap on it) If I collected the rocks from a river or stream I also pour a couple gallons of boiling water on them.
I've seen Plecos 1/3 the size of a 55 gallon tank.

If you're anywhere in Southern California, there's one in the Fish Warehouse in Little Saigon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is the new update. please keep in mind i am gonna stack the lava rocks higher, but not until next week (expensive!!!)...but hey you gotta start somewhere. it was a smooth transition. I didnt loose any fish, now if I could only get them to stop digging out the sand around from the rocks by the mouthful!!! lol I noticed once I first transitioned that my powerhead was moving alot of sand around throughout the tank, so I turned it off for a week or two until everything settles...suggestions? comments? remember this is just the start of my rock stack...

·
Registered
705 Posts
lol theyre gonna dig till they hit bottom. nothing u can do to stop that instinct. just wedge the rocks good and deep in the sand. (its what i do with all my base rocks that will support any of the others) works out alright. GL to ya and its looking much better. :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts