Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping with a 120-gallon aquarium setup at a local museum and I plan to update several parts of it, especially the substrates and the fish selection.

The tank currently houses a ~10" largemouth bass. I want to get it out of the tank because I plan to introduce schools of several different minnows minnows and other fish that would not be compatible.

The bass is currently suffering from hole-in-the-head. It is a pretty bad case with three pea-sized lesions. My question is: should I try to move this fish and keep it going with hope that the hole-in-the-head might clear up, or would it be smarter to just cull the fish?

I understand that some fish species can bounce back from hole-in-the-head, while others are basically doomed if they develop it. Could this largemouth recover?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Disclaimer: My experience with largemouth bass is exclusively on the lake with rod and reel. However, I have a friend who keeps them.

According to him, if caught early enough, it can be treated, he thinks you've got a 50/50 chance. If it were me, I would try to treat for HITH ASAP, and if conditions worsen cull the fish, it's my understanding that it either gets better or it doesn't.

I've never dealth with HITH, but that's what a buddy of mine says, so I figured I'd pass it along to you.

Good luck

-John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.