Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New to the forum but my tank is well established. 120G with a mix of red zebras (the bright orange bullet shaped cichlids), frontosas, and yellow labs. Also some juvenile compressisips. Chinese algae eater.

Water tests all return normal. I do a 15-20gallon water change every month. I have a separate bucket to let the chlorine evaporate out of the water (fill the bucket after every change). I use Cycle and AquaClear with the changes.

The red zebra is looking bad although it does not exhibit any stress. Eating like normal. I use frozen brine shrimp with spirila and spirila stick soaked in water. Food is gone in under 2 minutes.

It first appeared as a dark internal spot below the top fin, but has now expanded into what looks like a tumor.

Is there any hope of saving this fish?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would guess that is some sort of tumour, but it's impossible to say for sure. Doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before. There almost appears to be bruising to the area...

The CAE worries me somewhat. Is it fully grown? Have you ever noticed it attacking any of your fish? They become quite nasty as they mature and latch onto the fish in an attempt to suck off their slime cloat.

What are the exact water parameters on the tank? That's a pretty minimal tank maintenance routine you've got there, and combined with allowing 2 minutes of food for feeding, I would be doing larger water changes, and more frequently.

Also, are you aware that your mbuna may become snacks for the frontosa as they mature?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fish appears to be degrading rapidly now and is in distress. :(

Yes, I should do more frequent changes, but I was being honest about how often I change the water. The CAE is about 3 inches (roughly same length as zebras). It can be aggressive to the other fish but from my observations, they give back as good as they get. That is, the CAE never really latches onto a fish.

The food is gone very quickly. 2 minutes is on the high side... normally MOST food is gone with a few remote floaters on top.

The fronts have never gotten that big. I've had them for over 5 years (at least) and the largest is roughly 4 inches. They seem to be growing very slowly.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I do appreciate your honesty on the water changes...It's more helpful than someone saying their water parameters are fine and they do water changes weekly when they don't even own a test kit or ever do water changes!

I would decrease my feedings, especially if you're feeding twice a day.

The fronts should also grow faster if you do more frequent water changes.

Honestly, I really wonder if the CAE might have gotten ahold of this fish during the night...Because of the bruised appearance, it really makes me wonder if it's a hematoma (blood pooling) under the skin. The only way to know for sure is to remove the fish and burst it with a needle, but you would want to hold the needle tip over some fire for a bit to "sterilize" it before trying it.

How squeamish are you? :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feeding once per day.

I don't think it's a result of the CAE. The issue appeared first as an internal darkening without an external wound.

Not squeamish. I need to remove everything from the tank to capture the fish. Just takes effort (and time). I need to do that now anyway to remove the fish to the hospital tank for any treatment.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
wobbletop said:
I don't think it's a result of the CAE. The issue appeared first as an internal darkening without an external wound.
That's what a bruise does. And it can be brought about by something sucking on the fish from the outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts