Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get rid of my 2 55's, 75 and 40 and just get one big 6 or 7 foot tank.

I can't decide how I want to filter it, I currently have a bunch of canisters and hobs running on my tanks, and I guess the easiest thing would be to just hook them up on the big one, but I could also go the sump route, just have never used one before.

if I go the sump route, would it be best for me to keep one of my tanks to turn into a sump? if so which size would you go with?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you go sump, you may as well keep one of your current tanks. I'd pick the largest one you can fit in the stand. More water volume is always a good thing.

You'd likely be okay with the HOB+canisters, too, as long as you had enough circulation and turnover in the tank.

·
2,088 Posts
One of the beautiful parts of a sump, is the ability to hide all the **** that accompanies the HOB, canisters, powerheads, heaters etc from view in the tank.

I'd definitely try to use on of your existing tanks for the sump, you will just need to be sure it can fit inside the stand. Go down to the DIY forum and search - there are zillions of DIY sump designs and information there.

Good luck on the big tank! (but in reality, you will still want one or two medium tanks also)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
A 55 sump might be best if you're going to install baffles for media chambers, because of the 12in width. However, a big sump like a 55 or a 75 will raise your stand up quite a bit in order to have enough room to work on it under the tank. My display is already a little too tall for my liking and I still don't have the room id like for my 55g sump, but I use suspended 5g buckets which add even more height to the sump..

I was recently given a 40 breeder and my current plan is to install baffles and use it instead of the 55, whenevr I get around to it.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know a guy with a 40 long, I might try and trade him for my 55, I have a 40 breeder, but I feel like it would be too wide unless I get a 24 inch wide tank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts