Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if I don't go the sump route, I want to make sure I have the right canisters on my tank, and this whole 6'+ thing is new to me

I currently run
xp3
xp2
c-220
eheim ecco 2234

on various tanks, that I will be getting rid of

I was considering just getting another xp3 and running the two, plus the xp2 on the larger tank, but I am worried that it won't be enough since the xp3 and xp2 don't seem to be doing as good a job as I had hoped on my 75. Would it be best to just get a couple of larger filters, or would just one more xp3 work well?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Two XP3s and and an XP2 is a fair bit of filtration. How are you stocking your tank?

When you say that the XP3 and XP2 weren't doing a good job on your 75, do you mean that the water did not look clean or that the parameters were not being kept under control (was the problem mechanical or biological filtration)?

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mechanical, the worst part was that I have a large collection of waste in the back left corner where the xp2 intake is located, and sometimes I get a lot of debris floating around if the fish stir it up, it takes a while to settle with the high flow rate. I have a skimmer intake on the xp2, to keep the surface clean, I took it off to see if it would help with the debris, but it didn't, so maybe it's just the xp2

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really want to use an HOB, I do have a few I plan to use when I start the tank, since I'll be combining all of my tanks, I will use the penguin 350, and ac110 from my 55, alongside the two xps at least for a little while

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
cjacob316 said:
mechanical, the worst part was that I have a large collection of waste in the back left corner where the xp2 intake is located, and sometimes I get a lot of debris floating around if the fish stir it up, it takes a while to settle with the high flow rate.
Is the intake too weak to pull the waste in? Assuming this is not due to the filter needing to be cleaned, would a powerhead help to push the waste closer to the intake? The waste not settling is a good thing because it increases the probability of it getting to the intake. Once it settles, it's not likely going to go anywhere till it's vacuumed.

Canisters are not known for their mechanical filtration capacity, so if you don't want to go with an HOB (can't say I blame you) the solution might be to vacuum more frequently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.