Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this maybe a lot to ask but are there any south Americans that grow to at least ten inches, wont destroy a planted tank, arent overly aggressive and grow slowly? Unlike an Oscar which would be ideal if it Didnt get massive quickly. Its so my current large growing fish have a friend to get used to before they get really big. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
697 Posts
That is a tall order. Are you talking cichlids or just SA fish? The first SA fish that came to mind with the outline requirements is a Black Ghost Knife. As far a large growing cichlids from south america it is best to avoid any delicate plants. If you choose hardy plants and be mindfull of how you plant them any number of cichlids can work, but there may be individuals that just dont want plants anywhere in there tank. Some pikes could work, severums, mabey a chocolate, eatheaters.... You may have to plant them in pots, stack rocks around the bases, tie them to wood, and do what ever it takes to keep the cichlids from digging them up and pulling at them. I just putt some floating pennywort in with my oscar and he doesn't seeem to bother it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ill look into the fish you suggested. Its actually to live with my bgk lol. Any other suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about a gt or blue acara? Just like how they look and info is a bit vague. think they will get on ok with a bgk? Or are they too aggressive? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
877 Posts
gt can get over 10 inches, not always but they can. might also be a bit much for the bgk.

blue acara would be fine, but they stay smaller in the 5 to 6 inch range. you could always get 6 young blue acaras and end up keeping a pair. that might be nice.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Severums and Chocolate cichlids will eat plants. They're vegetarians, well omnivores with a taste for greens.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
decided on a blue acara. Does anyone know an easy way to tell the difference between them and a green terror as i think my local fish shops are trying to sell green terrors as blue acaras. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
the 2 are hard to tell apart at times. I know someone kept calling my blue acara a GT even after I told them it was a blue. But from my experience the blue acara will have a vertical line down were as most GT i see just have a black dot on them. But I might be wrong as I have not done alot of research on GT as they are little more aggressive then blues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts