Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, I'm fairly new here so be kind...

Before I start I wish to assure you that I am an fairly experienced fish keeper with limited space. I am fully aware that what I am about to say may start a "you need a bigger tank" frenzy, so I am hoping to pip y'all to the post in order to get something more helpful back.

Currently I have a 55G (4x1x1.4) setup as a growout tank which is just about to be replaced with a custom 100G(6x1x1.5). I obtained a beautiful Silver Saum GT @ 5" which I have "no choice" but to quarantine in a 10G (1x1x1 cube). I have no choice because of space in my apartment, (think 6', 4', 1' tanks and a very patient girlfriend) and also the trader that was selling him would not hold him for me till I have the new tank cycled and this is a pretty rare find. Also I did not want to introduce him to the community before moving tanks as my synspilum or fenestratus would likely shred him in a day or 2.

He should be in there for no more than 3 weeks, but he seems to not like his new home (constantly butting the glass).

I have 2 questions on different topics,

1: What can I do to ease the GT's stress while he's in quarantine in the small tank?

2: Do I have to cycle the new tank if I transfer the filters, driftwood, rocks, gravel/sand from one tank straight to the other with very little "down time". I am also using Purigen in my Jebo 835.

Thanks for reading (a bit long winded i know ;p)

·
Registered
623 Posts
You should only need to transfer a single filter with an established bacteria colony to your 10 G tank. That should be about it, just make sure to use chlorine conditioner on the new water.

One thing you can do to ease his stress while in the QT is maybe leave direct lights off. It will have to do if thats your only option. I dont know about adding any decorations as it is already cramped space.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Keep the small tank in darkness. Cover it with a towel, and give him a cave to hide in. Make sure there's sufficient oxygen, and 40% water changes at least twice a week. Clean water and low activity levels should help him calm down a bit.

So, you don't have the 100g set up yet, but once you do (the sooner the better, of course) transfer your filter media from the 55 to the 100. In the meantime, get the new filter set up on the 55g tank so that bacteria can start colonizing the media. Run both filters on the 55, and swap old, well established filter media and even some substrate when you get the 100g set up. Make sure you dechlorinate all new water, don't clean your filters, and you should cultivate enough bacteria to avoid having to establish a new nitrogen cycle.

The point being, once you get the new tank, you can your fish in there within a day (not three weeks). Let your new fish settle first (overnight would be good) because he will be still be experiencing acclimation stress.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.