Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the most fun is had/experienced when you watch the fish grow from youth up through to adulthood but I thought I would ask. What is the opinion of the forum regarding purchasing large fully grown specimens...not for breeding purposes? I am considering it and thought I would solicit some opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Speaking from a lot of experience in this department I'd say if you plan to keep it on it's own no problem. Kept together or put together as adults usually does not end with good things happening... unless you've got a very large tank. Even then sometimes it does not work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with the TFG. I would add that you will not know the age of the fish. So many times, you will have only a short time to enjoy the fish!

·
Registered
589 Posts
TheFishGuy said:
Speaking from a lot of experience in this department I'd say if you plan to keep it on it's own no problem. Kept together or put together as adults usually does not end with good things happening... unless you've got a very large tank. Even then sometimes it does not work.
+1 I'm all for getting a full grown wet pet if that's what you want to do- but be cautious if you intend to introduce an adult into a community setting.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I have two fish that I purchased from a friend as adults. One he had bred and raised himself, so he knew it was two years old. The other, I'm not exactly sure how old she is, but was only a few years old as well when I got her. It's nice to watch a fish grow up from a baby, but one of these two fish is my BABY over all the others...so I certainly am no less attached to it just because it wasn't a baby when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yep I have some full grown fish that I didn't raise. It is one of my favorite fish. Kinda like copying on a test. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts