Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to get a hold of 5 of these wonderful little shellies and I put them in a 40 long along with 6 Utinta Cyps (2 male 4 female). Every now and again I will see a few little babies and then within a day or two they are gone!! I'm wondering if its more likely the other shellies or the Cyps that are eating them. And what is my best options to try and get some of these little guys to survive. Also, are the darker ones the males and lighter ones the females?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would I be better off moving them the adults to a different tank? If so should I move all 5?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
tmoore said:
Would I be better off moving them the adults to a different tank? If so should I move all 5?
If you want fry, yes. And unless you have established pairs or a harem, just move them all. Maybe any rejected could go back to the cyp tank.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
A 20 long, a 10 is too small. I usually add 2 shells per fish, so 10-12 shells. Just space them a few inches apart. You'll know soon enough by behaviors the probable m/f ratio. If you get two males sparring, consider adding a rock or two or fake plants for sight breaks. Just watch and adjust as needed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will the fry be ok without shells in a ten gallon with a sandy bottom? Or should I put a few shells in the bottom of the tank? Also will I be ok to house several groups of fry in the same 10 gallon tank or will I have to have multiple fry tanks? Thanks for the continued help

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Definitely add some cover in the fry tank, but it doesn't have to be shells. You can make little cave-like structures by stacking and slanting rocks. The fry will stress out if they can't hide.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts