Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a 10 gallon and ikind think im going to put some multies how many could i fit in this tank

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you don't mind returning fish, you could start with maybe 5 and then hope for a trio of a male and 2 females. You would probably end up getting rid of 1 or 2 fish that get ostracized from the colony but who knows. Male Multis get a little bigger than the females but other than that it is very difficult to sex them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
shellies215 said:
You don't need to start with a large number. Just get 5-6 and a bunch of shells.
+1.

They will pair off and multiply rapidly. I don't like to advertise it, but my multi colony is in a 10 gallon. Though it's more crowded that I like, there's room for about three pairs plus tons of babies constantly. I would say 80% of the bottom is filled with shells.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is it okay if my ph is like7.2 or do i need to raise it some if so how should i raise it

·
Registered
363 Posts
Baking soda is cheap and reliable. Just make sure you keep up with it. A non-ideal pH will be easier on the fish than wildly fluctuating pH on every water change.

In terms of hardy Tangs, there are few more hardy than multis. Most likely, they will be fine with the lower pH if you don't want to mess with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.