Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi experts,
I'm ready to add fish to my 75G Tang tank. My LFS has Lamprologus Meleagris, and I was wondering how they would do in a Community tank. I'm looking at Julidochromis Maleri for the rocky area, maybe another rock dweller Lelupi maybe? And Cyprichromis Leptosoma for open water.
Any suggestions? How would these little shellies be in this tank?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Leleupi are hard on shellies, killed all mine in a 72" tank. And they also killed all the caudopunctatus.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, what about the Maleiris?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Julidochromis Marlieri...I think that is the right spelling

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Juli's and shellies should be fine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2 rock piles, one on each end of the tank. The middle and front are open sand for the shells. I'm going to pick up the fish this afternoon. How many Juli Marlieri do you suggest is a good stocking level for a 75G? These are all juveniles. Also is it ok to have 2 species of shellies or should I stick to just one? I'm also going to be getting Cyps for the open water area.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I would for sure go for a smaller Julie than Julidochromis marlieri if mixing with shellys like the Pearly occi. J.transcriptus or a nice yellow ornatus would be a far better choice than a guy that gets over 5" and can be real mean. Oh I fully agree on the leleupi being far too hard on shellys long term but not found marlieri any better. Strangely if looking for a bigger guy than transcriptus or ornatus I found Julidochromis regani (Kipili) to be safe with multies so I guess would be ok long term with exLamprologus meleagris often missold as Lamprologus stappersii. :wink:

All the best James

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tank isn't cycled completely, so didn't get any fish today. So the jury is still out. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Here is the setup:
75G Tank standard dims 48 inches long. Drilled with overflow
20G sump/refugium....center section has Aragonite, and planted tank substrate.
Plants, heater, and a biowheel in sump/refugium..plus return pump Mag7.
Tank has Aragonite sand bed 3-4 inches deep, and 2 piles of rock one each end.
Middle and front has shells scattered around.
Lighting 6x54w T5's......3xactinic, and 3x6400k.

Fish wants:
Cyprichromis Leptosoma open water...maybe 10-12?
Rock Dwellers..any suggestions? Julidochromis, Eretmodus (goby cichlids) both? one species only?
Shell dwellers..Occelatus, Brevis, Meleagris, ?

For sure I want a Community tank with Shellies, Cyps, and Rock Dwellers.
Any suggestions on a stocking list? I can get a wide range of cichlids here, as Rocky Mountain Cichlids is a local breeder here.
Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts