Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my first large aquarium at 180g and I am looking at using a Lake Tanganyika tank due to their variety and personality. I have read some of the different types such as rock dweller, open water, sand, and shell. I plan using the space of the tank to separate each type to fit their needs. I also plan on adding a bristlenose since I have read they can handle the Lake Tanganyika fish for assistance with algea cleanup. I was also considering adding about 10 tropheus duboisi but wasn't sure if the tank could handle all 10 since they need to be in groups. My tap water sits at ph 7.0 gh 75 and kh 80. Let me know your thoughts and tips as far as the stocking, ph/gh/kh buffering, and filtration as I am cleaning the tank and resealing it now. Link below for stocking

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 180G?

Assume you will do a fishless cycle with ammonia?

Read the articles in the Cichlid-forum Library to get the recipe for Rift Lake buffer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank dimensions are 72" x 24" x 25" and yes I also do a fishless cycle with a new tank and usually wait until I have algae growth for 2 weeks before cleaning and adding fish. As far as the buffer, how required is it? This is my first African tank so my other tanks don't require the same water parameters as these will. Also, what order should I add them in?

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
With the fishless cycle I would add them all at once. With a pH of 7.0 I would buffer. Are you using water from a water softener?

Sand dwellers and shellies may want the same habitat, depending on what species of sand dweller. Open water fish like cyps may not do well with tropheus.

In a 72" tank I would do way more than 10 tropheus...I would make them the focus of the tank and maybe just add gobies for the rocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of separating the shell and sand by using the rock formations for the julie and alto. Essentially left side of tank is the shell colony, middle is the rocks, and right is open sand. For the tropheus, i think adding them into the mix that I have now would be a recipe for overcrowding so I was thinking some BN would be able to handle it while providing some level of cleaning of the class etc. As far as my water, no it comes out of the tap at 7.0 more or less

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
No more than 2 BN for a 72" tank. What mix do you have now? Open sand makes a more effective barrier for a shell bed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to have neolamprologus multifasciatus and xenotilapia bathyphilus along with cyprichromis leptosoma, altolamprologus calvus, julidochromis transcriptus, and synodontis multipunctatus.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I have never kept xenos, so hope others will chime in. But I would say choose between the shellies, the xenos and the synodontis.

And then the cyps, calvus and julidochromis will work with one of those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips, I am in the early stages for sure and hoping it will work out given the tank is so large. I am no cichlid expert though.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
The 72" dimension is what is most important...gallons not so much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, at 72 inches, should that not be long enough to cover seperate zones per se? If I were to break down the bottom into 3 zones of shells, rock, and open sand giving each fish 24 inches of space. Of course that can be manipulated and the shellies get 12, sand get 18 and then rock gets 42. I am just trying to better understand your logic while also explaining mine.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
PrimaryJudgment said:
Right, at 72 inches, should that not be long enough to cover seperate zones per se? If I were to break down the bottom into 3 zones of shells, rock, and open sand giving each fish 24 inches of space. Of course that can be manipulated and the shellies get 12, sand get 18 and then rock gets 42. I am just trying to better understand your logic while also explaining mine.
You are basically then trying to keep xenos in a 24sq" area. Now you're looking at only one male, It's not something I would do.
I don't know anything about Julies but I do keep an odd goldhead comp with my xeno Papilios with no problem.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I tried to do the same with my first Tang set up in my 72" tank. I ended up with cyps, calvus, julidochromis and Synodontis multipunctatus.

I asked about Opthalmotilapia (featherfins), thinking...lots of room right? After hearing they want the whole bottom of a 72" tank, decided against them.

Before that I also had leleupi (against advice) and brevis and a single tret along with the cyps, calvus, julidochromis and synodontis in the tank. The leleupi killed the brevis so I rehomed them. The single tret did OK but he hid and did not add much to the tank so I rehomed him. Balance was achieved.

The Synodontis will not stay in their place...they are all over everyone everywhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are basically then trying to keep xenos in a 24sq" area. Now you're looking at only one male, It's not something I would do.
I don't know anything about Julies but I do keep an odd goldhead comp with my xeno Papilios with no problem.[/quote]

How much space would they need? Would it be better to have the multis in a 55 with the xenos in the 180(72") with the rest? Or with the xenos does it not allow the synodontis? Would the synodotis do better with the multi or another shell dweller?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DJRansome said:
I tried to do the same with my first Tang set up in my 72" tank. I ended up with cyps, calvus, julidochromis and Synodontis multipunctatus.

I asked about Opthalmotilapia (featherfins), thinking...lots of room right? After hearing they want the whole bottom of a 72" tank, decided against them.

Before that I also had leleupi (against advice) and brevis and a single tret along with the cyps, calvus, julidochromis and synodontis in the tank. The leleupi killed the brevis so I rehomed them. The single tret did OK but he hid and did not add much to the tank so I rehomed him. Balance was achieved.

The Synodontis will not stay in their place...they are all over everyone everywhere.
Makes sense, I really like the synodontis for their looks but yes I understand they like to roam. I got my list and from the aqadvisor basic 125 gallon Lake Tanganyika and added in the open sand thinking with more room it would work but that is why I signed up here for more advice since I am not familiar enough with cichlids.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have a lot of options with that 180 gallon footprint. My advice would be to pick the species you want to build the tank around, and fill in the other niches based on what you have access to order/purchase.

If you like tropheus you can do about 40 of one species in that aquarium, with 6 gobies and a group of 6 Dardenni as dither. All have the same diet and are gregarious. This would be a very active tank.

If you like Cyphotilpia you could get a colony of 20 juveniles and grown them out with some comps or calvus. This is a long term tank as the colony will need to be dwindled down over a 4 year period to a good Male to female ratio. These fish are all carnivores and are very calm and peaceful for the most part. This tank will be very chill.

If you want a true community pick one fish for the open water, two substrate/cave spawners, one mid water swimmer, and either sandsifters or Shellie.

18 cyprichromis leptosoma
8 paracypricromis nigripinnis
6 Altolamprologus compresscips or calvus
6 Julie ornatus
8 xenotilapia flavipinnis

You also could perhaps add a few detail fish or odd balls, tanganyikan eel, or a pair of Gnathochromis perimexllis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going more for the community style tank so now just detrming how to mix them in together. I am curious if I can have a synodontis with a shellie or sand dweller such as the multi or a xenotilapia bathyphilus. If it can be housed with them. I like the community tank as it offers the layers style of tank and variety rather than a stand alone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
PrimaryJudgment said:
I am going more for the community style tank so now just detrming how to mix them in together. I am curious if I can have a synodontis with a shellie or sand dweller such as the multi or a xenotilapia bathyphilus. If it can be housed with them. I like the community tank as it offers the layers style of tank and variety rather than a stand alone.
Synodontis Petricola/lucipinnis/multipunctatus do better in groups. I have 6 adult lucipinnis in a 55 gallon with some Altolamprologus calvus and they do okay together.

Howver, they can be disruptive to shellies and sandsifters. Also if you have goals of breeding organically in the tank they relentlessly forage for food and are known egg eaters. I would think that your shellies would put up a better fight then your sandsifters when dealing with synodontis. I know when I kept a breeding colony of multis they would attack my hand when cleaning the glass.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Xenos use the entire tank I have 5 in a 6' tank. My J transcriptus stay on the stones and really care less about the Xenos. Each Xeno has their spot but they all intrude from one end to the other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So it would be better to have the multis with Synodontis and then have a seperate tank for the xenos since they roam about more. Or would it be better to not include the Synodontis and then have shellies and the xenos? I really like the shark like look for the Synodontis so that is why I keep bringing them up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.