Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a cichlid tank for over two years and have made partial water changes in the past.However, on yesterday after doing so my fish started going to the top as if they need air. Several have died. I have a fluval filter which seems to be operating . I recently added an air stone. Do you think they are not getting enough oxygen. Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Agree, and test for nitrites as well. Also be sure you added dechlorinator?

Can you think of anything different for this water change?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
This time of year local water supplies begin to warm up. As they do, bacteria and algae blooms occur. To combat this the water treatment plant will increase the amounts of chlorine and chloramines that they put in the water supply, which could be at lethal levels for your fish. At this time of year, more than ever you need to utilize a good water conditioner/dechlorinator.

·
Registered
105 Posts
you obviously have done it right in the past.
do you add a buffer? get carried away?
checked your amonia, nitrites, nitrates as all ready sugested?
did you add water at a higher temp than your tank water? (less oxygen in warmer water)
have you cleaned your filter pads recently? (perhaps to much causing a re-cycle)
dechlorinator as djransome said?

·
Registered
44 Posts
out of curiousity, did you clean the filters out at the same time as the water change? IF so - you may have removed all the "good bacteria" from your tank and started the cycle all over again.

Test the water immediately for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite as stated above. Post the results, and we'll go from there. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.