Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a 60"x18"x26" tank.

I want to keep laetacara dorsigera, I also intend to keep a few larger shoals of tetras (I like lemon, cardinal, rummy noses, emperors, bleeding hearts and Colombian) and perhaps some catfish and angels.

I'd like some advice on how many dorsigera to introduce and what other types of dwarf cichlid to keep with them. I do love rams but suspect they would prove too frail.

Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I would buy a group of 6 juvenile dorsigera and go from there. I used to have a pair in a 36"x18"x18" and they killed every other dwarf cichlid I tried to keep with them. But I bought them as a mated pair and they were already adults. If you do buy a group of juveniles, you could try adding a group of Bolivian rams at the same time, or better yet, get the rams first and settled in and then add in the dorsigera a month later.

My pair, mainly the male, had no problems taking out slim tetras. I would stick to the larger body shaped tetras.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I keep 5 dorsigera in a planted 75(48x18). Tankmates: Rummynose, neons, bloodfins, angels, otocinculus, corydoras. No problems what-so-ever. I did have my bolivian pair in with them for a while. I did see a couple of territorial disputes, but nothing violent. I agree with Bolivians being your best bet with the dorsigera. I've never had any problems with the dorsigera taking out my tetras, but with laetacara and their larger cousins, there seems to be case-by-case aggression levels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts