Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have a tank of 5 Aceis and 6 Labs with two Syno. Eupterus cats. Do any of you guys have these cats in any of your tanks?

The problem I am having is when I feed the Synos. I know they are nocturnal, so I try and feed them when the lights are off before I go to bed. However, My Labs and Acei tend to eat most of the food for the Synos that I am dropping in before the Synos can even detect that it is there. I am afraid the Synos. are not getting as much food as they need so I end up having to drop like 12 pellets or so in there, hoping that there is enough left over after the other fish destroy it for the Synos.

Does anyone have any suggestions or help with this?

I am feeding them Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets if that matters at all.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I would bet, that the catfish appear fat when you see them.... They can, and will compete for food when they NEED to. Otherwise, they are fine.

If you are concerned, and can't see them, pull the decorations out. I'll bet they are quite plump, so you won't need to worry.

The only Syno I've had issues with in feeding was Synodontis brichardi.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have three eupterus in my 75G mbuna tank with acei, labs, maingano and socolofi.

When I first set up this tank, I never saw the cats. They stayed hidden in the rocks all the time. I did like you, feeding some late at night, but I put in the wafers, which the cichlids went after but could not eat quickly just due to their size. My cats grew fast and if I ever saw them they were fat.

More recently, say the last 4-6 months, the cats have lost their shyness and come out to the front glass at feeding time. They get whatever pellets hit the gravel before the mbuna can grab them. And they are still fat even though all the pellets disappear in under 20 seconds.

Bottom line, I agree with Fogelhund that you probably don't need to worry about your eupterus getting enough to eat. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts