Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all this is my first post here. My question is I removed the female from the large tank and put her in a nursery tank by herself. She is doing a lot of swimming and she is only 2.5 inches long with a mouth full of babies. Is this normal? to me she should just relax but I guess she has other ideas :p

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum. :thumb:

It is normal. First any fish just put in a new tank will "pace". And second the new mom when ready to spit fry will act a little frantic trying to keep the babies in and looking for just the right spot to spit them where they will be safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Welcome to Cichlid-forum. :thumb:

It is normal. First any fish just put in a new tank will "pace". And second the new mom when ready to spit fry will act a little frantic trying to keep the babies in and looking for just the right spot to spit them where they will be safe.
Thanks for the welcome and also you are right she is relaxing now and actually eating too! This is my first time raising fry so learning as I go here :p

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Uh oh.. very unusual to eat while holding...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glaneon said:
Uh oh.. very unusual to eat while holding...
You know what I think happened is I gave her a few pellets of spectrum food and she may think they are eggs???? What is the outcome of this, I can see in her mouth with a good magnifying glass and all seems good. Just crazy to see all eyes in the fishes mouth.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
If she has eyes already, those fry have been in her mouth for a while.

I would not say very unusual to eat while holding...maybe 25% of my females do this. Just a cautious couple pellets during each feeding...not huge gulps as she would if not holding. But it is something to watch for if you are not sure she is holding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
If she has eyes already, those fry have been in her mouth for a while.

I would not say very unusual to eat while holding...maybe 25% of my females do this. Just a cautious couple pellets during each feeding...not huge gulps as she would if not holding. But it is something to watch for if you are not sure she is holding.
She is deff holding babies, and from what I saw she only picked up too small pellets. I think she been holding for a few weeks not sure when she started though. My best guess would be (I think) 3weeks :roll: . Have any idea when you think they should come out? I have been reading and they should be any day now if not already.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
28 days is average. If she is in a maternity tank alone with a pile of rocks for the babies to hide it will be any day now.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
When our labs are holding we feed brine shrimp after week two. The moms will sneak in a few. They ignore pellets and flake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
28 days is average. If she is in a maternity tank alone with a pile of rocks for the babies to hide it will be any day now.
I have her in a 10g tank by herself with hiding spots and she seems to be putting her head down towards the coral like she wants to place them there. It is fun to watch but after she lets the fry go how long should I keep her in the tank for before puting back in the main tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
24 hours or she will eat them. Sometimes 48 hours works, but I prefer not to take the chance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJRansome said:
24 hours or she will eat them. Sometimes 48 hours works, but I prefer not to take the chance.
Thanks for the heads up! I did not know it was that quick to remove her. Well I just picked up two more fish and I forgot the darn names :x , I will figure it out either by calling them up or by the pics here.lol Again thanks for the discussion it really helps alot :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wondering here, but she still has not released the fry yet and Im starting to wonder if she ever will :roll: My question is should I let nature do its thing or should I play doctor and remove them??????????

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
28 days is average which means 50% of the time she will hold longer. Unless you know the day she started holding, I would not strip before 18 days from when you noticed unless you have a tumbler.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DJRansome said:
28 days is average which means 50% of the time she will hold longer. Unless you know the day she started holding, I would not strip before 18 days from when you noticed unless you have a tumbler.
Thanks I needed that positive renforcement :thumb: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Can't hurt her to hold unless she get's too skinny.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She is getting some what skinny but not to much to be a concern. Just am to darn anxious waiting...........

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good news she spit out about 5 of them after I was very sure I thought was time. I put in some Hikari first bites in and they came flying out. She did go after some and she is holding them and the others are hiding and eating. hould I worry about the ones holding still or will they come out when again she is ready?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
As long as she is taking them in and letting them out, they should be safe.

Once they stay out for 24 hours it's time to think about removing her.

This is the part I find nerve wracking...I usually end up netting the mom and stripping any that stayed behind just to get it over with. :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DJRansome said:
As long as she is taking them in and letting them out, they should be safe.

Once they stay out for 24 hours it's time to think about removing her.

This is the part I find nerve wracking...I usually end up netting the mom and stripping any that stayed behind just to get it over with. :lol:
This is what I plan on doing when I get home from work. I think she has at least 5 in her mouth and she is not letting them go yet and I know they will be fine out of her mouth. The next nerve racking thing will be putting her back into the main tank and this will be my first time trying to take fry from a fish. :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts