Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I separated out a female that was acting strange in my main tank. She was hanging in the corner, not eating or swimming away as normal when I put my hand against the glass. I put her by her own in an isolation tank, she has been there now for about 8 days. She is not holding and no obvious signs of damage. She is swimming but pretty still in a rock corner. I've treated her for bacteria just incase. I've tried feeding her again yesterday but nothing still. The water in both tanks is fine. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and 20 nitrates. Does anyone have any ideas? Her colour is dark but that's normal for the females depending on their moods. I'm at a loss and don't want to lose her. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
What do the feces look like? Thick and food colored or thin/thready and white or clear?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest I've not seen any feces. Most of the time in isolation she has spent behind a rock or in the elbow plastic tube in there. I'll move the rock and bits out tomorrow and look for her feces and let you know. I tried to put a little food in for her again just now, she came rushing out but then just turned away.
Is it at all possible she is holding but not showing? If so I have medicated her tank so I doubt she will hold for long as I have been told it will put her under stress and she probably will fail to hold. Either way i will report back tomorrow when I remove the bits and look at her feces. I'll have a little clean up too as she has left the food I put in. My worry is right now how long she will go without food for.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so right after I wrote the last post she has decided to have a little swim out of the rock. I've managed to take some pics of her and take a look at her. She looks fine, and healthy just not eating. Here's some pics, I can't believe she is holding for a second and she looks fine. Lost.....why won't she eat

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Watch for feces...if they are white/clear and thready then I would treat with metronidazole for bloat. If it is not bloat, you would use something else.

There are many diseases that involve not eating, so we want to look for something unique about her symptoms.

If she was hanging in the corner, she was being harassed and after a while that can impact the immune system, exposing her to diseases that would otherwise not bother her.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so her feces is a brown colour. Looks normal but she still is not eating. What should I do? LFS is saying they have some garlic infused brine shrimp that appearently they find impossible to resist. I've tried my NLS pellets, some frozen daphnia even just incase she fancies it but nothing. I never normally feed them daphnia BTw I just thought I would try. But today again she is out swimming seems fine. But won't be if she starves

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just observed her picking up maybe 2/3 pellets I had put in earlier and the. Spitting what looked like them back out. Assuming this is a good sign? At least she is going to it even if not keeping it down. That said she is out again swimming around and looking pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Yes the fish often pick up pellets - spit them out and pick them up again.

If the nitrates are below 20ppm and her belly is not concave, I would keep trying. It has only been a week. If her immune system was compromised by harassment in the main tank and she has no other symptoms...she may still not be feeling well and need more time to recover. Good that her feces are food colored and that is proof that some food is passing through.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so an update. I decided to return her to the main group as she looked ok and was swimming just not eating. I guess I wanted to see if she would be enticed to eat within the group at feeding times. When I returned her to the tank I noticed that one of her ventril fins underneath has been halved. I've no idea if it was a fight where she lost it or just damaged it but it is half of the other side. This would explain her lack of swimming correctly when I first removed her. Will this ever re grow? Excuse my ignorance....also do u think she will be ok? I've not seen her still eating although she tried to and copies the group.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I would remove her again since she did not start eating when the group eats. Also the fin was lost due to harassment, but as long as the flesh at the base is intact, it will regrow.

Are you sure she is a female? Could the fish be a sub dominant male that needs to be rehomed because you have too many males?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure if it's a sub dominent male to be honest. It looks like the other females. There are 3/4 males and one which is the alpha male as he asserts himself and has the brightest of the colours. They are still young, so u think start removing males even at this age?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I always follow the cues given by the fish. If a fish is rejected, especially if the fish is showing symptoms of trouble like ripped fins and not eating, I remove either the victim or the aggressor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts