Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Trying to sex two out of four Labs, which is proving difficult to say the least.

I notice that my dominant male is lip bruised from fighting, and one of the mystery labs (similar size) also has lip bruising. Is it likely therefore that this fish is male and has been fighting with the dominant male? If male and female fighting is extremely uncommon then this could help me answer my question.

Thanks,

Ian.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bmweiler.

Just wondering whether anyone has observed this behaviour in yellow labs as well?

And at what size do they reach sexual maturity? That will be the only sure fire way (without venting!) of finding out...

Thanks,

Ian.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Yeah i learnt long ago not to use aggression or fighting to determine sex. Once they are over 3" it is easy to vent them and tell their sex for sure.

A while back i had a group of yellow labs and the biggest baddest lab killed all the other labs. So i figured i had a male. One day i was venting fish and come to find out it was a female.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks GaFishMan. That's a good enough piece of first hand experience to help me out! I shall continue to watch with interest and try and figure it out. It's so difficult to tell the difference between a female and a sub-dominant male!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.