Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these get larger than most Mbuna, how safe are they with 4-5" tank mates? If not, what would be the minimum tank requirements for a species only tank?

Are their personality as adorable as their oddly unique facial structure?

·
Super Moderator
40,490 Posts
They are safe with smaller tank mates and they are aggressive.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I wouldnt do them in a 55g. I have a 6" male labeo fulleborni (at the time of this story he was more like 5" or 5 1/2") who i had in with 3 females and over about a 6-8 month period he killed all his females.

I also had a group of 2-3" Rusty in the tank who he did not mess with at all.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would the added real estate of a 75 permit them to live well? I'd really like to keep them but I'm not going to force them into a smaller tank just because I want to keep them.

Plans on going 125+ in the future, if I can't keep them in a 75, I know what I'll put in the bigger tank in the future!

Also, if he is fine to live as a single male, would he be fine in a 4' tank?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Maybe...I mean its hard to say. My male was a wild caught and was almost 5" when i got him so i dont know if he is more aggressive then tank raised ones or not. Also i only had 3 females which probably wasnt the best idea. Once the first was killed it didnt take long for him to take out the others.

If you get them less than 3" or 4" and get 4 or 5 females then you might have better luck in a 4 foot tank with a harem set up. You could still run into problems when he hits the 5.5-6" mark.

I havent tried mine in an all male set up yet but eventually he will be going in a 125g all male set up.

You could definitly keep a single male with no other fish in a 4 foot tank but it could get boring.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had this species in a 100 gallon tank - 5 foot long. I had a single male and five females. He was fine up until he got about 5 inches then he killed the females one by one. I had five different species of mbuna 25 total. Labeotroheus are so rough on females. You might get away with a male and five females in a 125. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all the information. I will definitely be waiting until I have a 6' footer. Either that or tempt fate with an all larger male Malawi tank.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had 4 males and 5 females in a 90 and no issues with the ladies but the chased eah other a lot. I never did see any injuries but the quite breeding. Recently I took 2 males out and thus am left with 2m:5f in the 90 gallon and they are breeding again and I have observed no isssues. Its been this way a couple months now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Forgot to add that I have found that have a male heavy tank is actually easier on the the females. they spend more time keeping each other in check to harass the ladies. It seems when you have enough males the aggression is spread out amongst them a little more evenely which is thesame line of though when have good male:/female ratios

1 - 9 of 9 Posts