Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the real difference between these two species. They both seem to be very similar. Can someone thats had both break down some differences between them helping me decide which one I'd like to go with.
Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Labeotropheus fuelleborni have a deeper body (from belly to dorsal) than the Lab. trewavasae species.

From my experience, Lab. trewavasae are more aggressive towards conspecifics and contraspeciifics. Lab. fuelleborni are a bit more gentle, but can still get rambunctious.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why_spyder said:
Labeotropheus fuelleborni have a deeper body (from belly to dorsal) than the Lab. trewavasae species.

From my experience, Lab. trewavasae are more aggressive towards conspecifics and contraspeciifics. Lab. fuelleborni are a bit more gentle, but can still get rambunctious.
As far as looks go the males have the blue bodies with the orange dorsal fin and the females are easy to get in OB correct? I just want the orange to add another color to the tank. I would like to add some red but I don't know what I could add that couldn't possibly breed with my yellow labs to give me hybrids. I was told the red zebras are out of the question. :roll:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
SpeedFreak said:
As far as looks go the males have the blue bodies with the orange dorsal fin and the females are easy to get in OB correct?
That is just one of the many geographical variant color combinations. Zimbawe Rocks location has that combination, but so does a couple others. There is also all blue males, blue/orange body males, orange/blue body males, etc., etc.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've had the same experience as why_spyder with these. My trewavasae males were terrors, my fuelleborni males weren't so bad.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smaller is better since it will most likely be the dominant fish in the tank Let me know if you can help or if you know anyone...lol

in the last week i've been to every major fish store in my area and none of them have them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you are willing to travel to Northern Virginia, I know where you can get some Trewavasae.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 4.2 ratio in my 120 with other adult mbunas and my Mpanga Red males get along fine and there adults too. Been in the tank together for almost 3 months now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CichlidMan81 said:
I have a 4.2 ratio in my 120 with other adult mbunas and my Mpanga Red males get along fine and there adults too. Been in the tank together for almost 3 months now.
whats the 4.2 ratio mean?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It probably means 4 females and 2 males.

But beware...2 males of a species generally don't work as well as 1 or 3...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cichlidaholic said:
It probably means 4 females and 2 males.

But beware...2 males of a species generally don't work as well as 1 or 3...
ok i'll keep that in mind. one or a group of them like demasoni

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You'd need a really big tank for a large group of fuelleborni or trewavasae. They are one of the more aggressive mbuna, and can get quite large.

I've had best luck keeping them 1 male to 3-4 females. :thumb:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah thats what i've been told. I read that the OB males don't mate as well is that true in a fish tank? I was also worried if I got a blue male with some of the dark barring if the demasoni would possibly mess with it since it would look similar

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My OB male was quite busy with 3 females, and we had so many fry from them that we wound up allowing most to be released in the main tank, so I don't believe there is any truth to what you were told.

I really can't see demasoni having an issue with a barred male fuelleborni, they don't look anything alike in person.

Just keep in mind that they can easily take over a tank with their aggression. I've kept fuelleborni and trewavasae, and males can really be a pain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
"Just keep in mind that they can easily take over a tank with their aggression. I've kept fuelleborni and trewavasae, and males can really be a pain"[/quote]

My barred male Fuelleborni is without a Doubt the king of my tank. He keeps everyone in check. He was extremely aggressive about 2 years ago but now he only becomes aggressive when spawning. He is a great fish to have as leader of the tank. He does a good job of keeping everyone in line and he also likes to butt in on fights between other fish and chase away the aggressor. Which is useful, he is like a babysitter. Unless a male from another species provokes him (rarely) for the most part he wont bother them, again I say "for the most part". He is also the only one that can get away with pushing around my 7 inch Synodontis Eupterus around without getting chomped. None of the other males in the tank can even get that Synodontis to budge. Come to think of it I need to take him out of the tank. At night he can be really annoying to the fish that are trying to sleep. Plus I think he is finding more fry than I would like.

·
Registered
151 Posts
4.2 means 4 males 2 females. The males don't bother each other at all , they just go about there business. It's been 3 months now that they been together.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cichlidaholic said:
My OB male was quite busy with 3 females, and we had so many fry from them that we wound up allowing most to be released in the main tank, so I don't believe there is any truth to what you were told.

I really can't see demasoni having an issue with a barred male fuelleborni, they don't look anything alike in person.

Just keep in mind that they can easily take over a tank with their aggression. I've kept fuelleborni and trewavasae, and males can really be a pain.
Yeah I read that info in Ad Konings 3rd edition Malawai Cichlids book. That was probably in the wild where other non-marmalade males were. Thats what i'd guess

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cichlidaholic said:

Yeah I read that info in Ad Konings 3rd edition Malawai Cichlids book. That was probably in the wild where other non-marmalade males were. Thats what i'd guess

1 - 20 of 24 Posts