Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 6-yellow labs, 4-rusties, and 5-cobalt blue mbuna. It is mixed with males and females of each species. I was looking into adding a fourth species to my 75g aquarium. They all seem to get along pretty well with each other. The cobalt blue male is the tank boss and the dominant yellow lab is a close second in command. The male yellow lab, cobalt blue, and rusty only chase their own species around for the most part. I have read some articles, forum posts, and watched some videos regarding the Labeotropheus fuelleborni. There have been some mixed reviews ranging from being moderately aggressive to very aggressive. More specifically, I wanted to get the marmalade fuelleborni 1 male and 3-4 females, only if they are compatible with my current stock. My first impression would that it would be compatible. It looks like the diet and parameters would be a match, but would the nature of the Marmalade fuelleborni actually be a good fit for the tank? :fish:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,504 Posts
They will work with your current stock, but stock 1m:7f to manage aggression. They are not killers but are more aggressive than your other species. You do not have to stock fish with the same aggression level in a tank.

Marmalades are a little more difficult to find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
I have 10 Labeotropheus Trewavasae 3.5"-4", which are closely related, in my 180gal. I've had them for two months now and they chase each other around non-stop, though no injuries and none have shown stress due to bullying surprisingly, yet anyway. When I got them from the fish store the little maniacs were chasing each other in bag on the way home. Never seen that before. They mostly ignore the 1 male/8 female Kenyi in the tank and all get along well enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
They will work with your current stock, but stock 1m:7f to manage aggression. They are not killers but are more aggressive than your other species. You do not have to stock fish with the same aggression level in a tank.

Marmalades are a little more difficult to find.
Thank you for replying and I appreciate your advice. I am glad that they will be a good fit. :thumb: I really wanted to make sure that it would be possible before hand. It's good to know they are not relentless in their behavior. With the experience I have gained with my other mbuna, I can see why several females are required to have a more peaceful tank and it also gives the other female fish a break from being pursued. I read that they are herbivores and it is important to feed them food rich in algae. I use NLS cichlid formula 1mm pellets for food. Would NLS algaemax be a better choice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ken31cay said:
I have 10 Labeotropheus Trewavasae 3.5"-4", which are closely related, in my 180gal. I've had them for two months now and they chase each other around non-stop, though no injuries and none have shown stress due to bullying surprisingly, yet anyway. When I got them from the fish store the little maniacs were chasing each other in bag on the way home. Never seen that before. They mostly ignore the 1 male/8 female Kenyi in the tank and all get along well enough.
That is funny that they were spirited from the get go when you brought them home. :D My tank is pretty lively with the current stock. I think adding more fish along with rearranging rocks occasionally will also help with some recent aggression issues. It sounds like they will keep the tank lively as well. What do you feed them? Thanks!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,504 Posts
Either NLS formula will be fine...I and other Members have used NLS Cichlid Formula for years and years to good effect.

Algaemax seems to emphasize algae over protein, but maybe not as balanced a food as Cichlid Formula. Even mbuna get micro organisms in the algae.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
chefdanrd said:
That is funny that they were spirited from the get go when you brought them home. :D My tank is pretty lively with the current stock. I think adding more fish along with rearranging rocks occasionally will also help with some recent aggression issues. It sounds like they will keep the tank lively as well. What do you feed them? Thanks!
They are little maniacs and interesting to watch. I feed them Northfin Veggie Formula, Elive Spirulina & Spinach, and frozen spirulina cubes as a treat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you DJRansome and ken31cay. This was very helpful.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top