Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased three small Labidochromis at my LFS. This one has some stripes. Is this uncommon for Labs? Maybe cross bred with another species? The stripes became more obvious over time. Just curious if this is something that can occur with these guys. Can't decide if this guy is cool looking or ugly yet. We'll see how he looks as he gets bigger.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Those look very pronounced...if the barring is faint it could be afraid or intimidated and these would go away when they feel dominant.

In a trio this fish may never feel dominant. They like to be in larger groups...if you have room you might try buying 2 more. Avoid the ones with the stress bars however.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Those look very pronounced...if the barring is faint it could be afraid or intimidated and these would go away when they feel dominant.

In a trio this fish may never feel dominant. They like to be in larger groups...if you have room you might try buying 2 more. Avoid the ones with the stress bars however.
Hmmm. I was afraid that might be the case (stress). You were helping me with advice regarding my Demasoni. I returned the remaining male and a couple other males (Red Fin, Jake) and aggression does appear to be better, but I imagine this guy is stressed being in a tank with peacocks? So should I still try to add a couple (I have room) or either move the labs to another tank (will need to get one) or return them in your opinion?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I don't think you should add fish until you are ready to make decisions changes to the stocking of your existing fish. Also wait three weeks in case the demasoni introduced any illnesses to your tank, and quarantine any new additions in a separate tank for 3 weeks before adding to your existing tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts