Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 Hongi. I had to separate the smallest b/c it was getting beat up by the other 2 larger hongi.
I've had them for about a year now and they have reached 2.5 inch size, but not the smaller one in a smaller tank. Makes sense. The dom hongi in my big tank flashes color and bosses the other hongi around like a dom male should.
Here is my concern...
What I think is a dom male, might just be a very bossy female. Currently this "dom male" has a swollen stomach and is desperately in search of something. I thought Bloat, but it is very very much on the active side, chasing most fish out of it's territory. I have a few other species females that are breeding with their appropriate mate this week. c.Afra and his 2 little ladies are at it, my pair of Socofoli are at it. I have a yellow lab known female that is rather plump.
I don't deny it, I probably over feed my fish so bloat isn't out of the question.
Back to the hongi behavior. so this hongi chases all fish out of a nook in the rocks, and swims in circles, I've seen this before. BUT that was with a mating couple!
Could it be that I have a very colorful female hongi that is "going to the dance" with out a partner? Has anyone else come across this?
D3

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lets see how this works...

And some videos....
They are about 2 min each and kinda fuzzy...sorry, my money goes to fish not cameras that take video :thumb:

I hope that all works. If not just follow the link to see :fish:
D3

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:
I stopped feeding the fish 5 days and the white anus has receeded/can't be seen.
I guess it is a female and she just doesn't have a man to satisfy her like the other girls in the tank.
Can anyone confirm or give me some feedback?
D3

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what the question is. Can a female be the tank boss? Yes. Can fish "do the dance" without spawning? Yes, the circle dance is also done to show aggression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts