Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just recalling having some of these (Died of old age I think/hope) in my last post and wanted to start a thread about the fact that they're totally underrated imo.

This is one fish where, to look at a photo, you might dismiss them as drab and/or unattractive. The pair I had were (I had black substrate so...) Very dark brownish, greyish, Black with unexaggerated lyre tails and finnage. Slightly orange heads, similar to N. Falcicula, but you really have to look.

None of that is the best part though. I enjoyed watching their movements more than any other fish I have cared for. They move with their bellies to the nearest object (i.e. glass, rock etc.) with discipline and as if they were jointed. I had mine for years and never once saw them cross the tank over open sand.

I know other fish swim relative to this, Julidochromis for example, but L. Furcifer's movements are much more precise, disciplined (Meaning they are never seen swimming around in open water or cruising, although they will dart out of the rocks to nail falling pellets when feeding.) and far more "jointed". They also do all of this while upside down much of the time.

They're great tank mates, perhaps even more aloof than Altolamps. It's so cool to observe a fish which seems to be determined to make itself unseen yet it does so while almost always being available to human sight.

Just a pretty, fun, rare, unaggressive cool fish! On the down side, I couldn't get them to breed. :-?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
They've been on my want list for some time. Seems whenever I see them on a list and call, they're all gone. I've also heard they're tough to breed. Here's really nice video that I found one time. Nothing drab about that one. You're right, it's a very much overlooked fish for some reason.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.