Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question from a long-time dog breeder: do you see 'failure to thrive' syndrome in yellow labs or other malawian cichlids? see this in dogs sometimes...

short story - add 5 juvie p.steveni and 5 juvie l. caeruleus (sp?) to a recent 75 gal setup. all fish have done well, except 1 of the yellow labs , and one of the steveni's is already holding. put these fish in approx 3 wks ago.

the fish in question hides most of the time, and is substantially smaller than the others. this one was smallest when i purchased the group, but it seems like it has shrunk while the others have bloomed. 4 of group are about 2.5-3", while this guy is maybe 1". hard to believe the others have grown so much in a short time; when purchased from the LFS they ranged from almost the same size to about 2".

thoughts? questions? suggestions?

- krista

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have definitely seen my cichlids grow at different rates. But, I can't attach any significance to it in the long run. I have a group of 6 fish that all started at roughly the same size, but now there is one that is bigger, and one that is much smaller, and the remaining 4 are about the same size. I thought the runt was an unhealthy fish and wondered what to do with him. I recently changed my mind when I watched him successfully spawn with one of the larger fish. Turns out he is a little male and won a female right under the nose of the largest fish, also a male. I don't know why this male is so small, but he seems to be 'successful'.

I think dominant fish grow faster because they get more food. The more passive fish are pushed away at feeding time. I do what I can to make sure everybody gets fed but in the end it is up to them to compete for the food. If your fish is a comparatively passive individual (which does seem to happen) it may just be missing out at feeding time.

·
Registered
639 Posts
pack-rat said:
I think dominant fish grow faster because they get more food. The more passive fish are pushed away at feeding time.
+1 It sounds like the little one can't compete for food as well as the others. Put it in a breeder net for a couple of weeks and try to fatten it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.